'No record' of UN letter on Hinkley Point nuclear station

The Department of the Environment said it has no record of being written to by a UN committee investigating whether Ireland was properly consulted in Britain’s decision to build a new nuclear power plant.

British Prime Minister David Cameron delivers a speech to workers in the Charge Hall at Hinkley Point B in Somerset.

The UN wrote the letter a week ago, before yesterday’s announcement by Britain that a proposed plant at Hinkley Point in England’s south-west — 240km from the Irish coast — was proceeding.

The department insisted Ireland was involved in consultations about the proposal from 2009.

“Ireland has been actively involved in the consultations process on the proposed new build programme including correspondence at ministerial level outlining issues of concern including effects on the environment and the management of radioactive waste.”

But the United Nations implementation committee questioned whether the Irish public were properly consulted.

In a letter dated Oct 14, the committee asks for copies of notifications received by the Government from Britain about the planned construction, and a copy of the response.

A spokesman for the department said it was not disputing the letter’s existence but there was no record of it and so no response had been prepared.

Tony Lowe of the Friends of the Irish Environment, which asked the UN committee to investigate the matter, welcomed the investigation.

“It looks like it’s too late to influence the plans for Hinkley Point but it should establish the principles contained in the Aarhus Convention that the public have to be consulted.”

© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved

Related Articles

Japan restarts first nuclear reactor since Fukushima meltdown

Nuclear expansion - One-sided debate is not helpful

Irish Examiner' />Nuclear power - Don’t leave it too late

‘Nothing to fear’ from UK nuclear plants

More in this Section

Former priest loses second defrocking appeal

Simon Coveney says €1bn infrastructure investment plan for Cork and Kerry is ‘not an election stunt’

VIDEO: Cork Penny Dinners launches revamp from Francis Brennan

Boy, 13, admits to abusing young girls

You might also like

Breaking Stories

Fine Gael add former Labour councillor to election ticket in Cork

Gardaí hunt for three youths after alleged assault on pregnant woman in Cork

Revenue seizes more than €350k worth of cigarettes hidden in hot tubs in Rosslare

Technical fault halts Luas on Red line


Equal pay for equal work but no country pays men and women the same

Boredom is a key part of creativity and should be explored

BIG READ: Sexism and fear keeping women away from Hollywood's top jobs

Eat your way to an illness free winter

More From The Irish Examiner