Free parking bids to boost city’s pre-Christmas trade

Cork City Council has announced an extended free parking initiative in a bid to boost pre-Christmas trade in the city.

Free parking bids to boost city’s pre-Christmas trade

Last night, city manager Tim Lucey unveiled the measures, which include free late-night parking and a free park-and-ride service on Saturdays.

But he urged private car park operators to come on board.

Mr Lucey said that, following last year’s four-week free parking initiative, it had been hoped to run a more structured scheme this year, in conjunction with the business sector.

“While meetings have been held with the business sector to progress such a model, no firm solution has emerged at this stage from the sector,” he said.

“Despite this, the city council does wish to do all it can to continuously promote and support the city economy.”

In a detailed report, Mr Lucey told councillors he has extended this year’s initiative to six weeks to include:

* Free parking in Paul St and North Main St car parks between 10am and 12pm Monday to Thursday, from Oct 22;

* Free parking in Paul St car park from 6.30pm to 12am on Thursdays and Fridays from Oct 25 to facilitate late-night shoppers;

* A free park-and-ride service on Saturdays from the Black Ash site.

“This is in particular to encourage and attract families to the city at weekends to enjoy the city centre vibrancy, quality of retailing, hospitality and entertainment offering,” said Mr Lucey.

He said the council will promote its award-winning Cork Christmas Celebration, which begins on Friday, Nov 30.

“The total value of these measures, through a combination of income foregone and spending, is estimated to be in the order of €120,000,” he said.

The Cork Business Association welcomed the initiative.

“We welcome this with open arms,” said CBA chief executive Donal Healy.

“Last year’s free parking resulted in 2,662 extra cars coming in to the participating car parks, resulting in a 4% increase in footfall,” said Mr Healy.

Cllr Ken O’Flynn (FF) welcomed the initiative, but said it did not go far enough.

“This is simply a bandage across the crack,” he said.

“We should be actively engaging with traders to do everything in our powers to support them.”

More in this section

Lunchtime News

Newsletter

Keep up with stories of the day with our lunchtime news wrap and important breaking news alerts.

Cookie Policy Privacy Policy Brand Safety FAQ Help Contact Us Terms and Conditions

© Examiner Echo Group Limited