Family waits in hope as search begins for IRA victim

The brother of a newly wed murdered and secretly buried by the IRA has expressed hope of finally finding his body ahead of fresh searches commencing in remote bogland today.

Brendan Megraw vanished in April 1978 and so became one of the so-called Disappeared victims of the Troubles.

The 23-year-old from west Belfast and 16 other people were abducted, killed, and clandestinely buried by republicans during the conflict. It is believed Mr Megraw’s remains lie in a bog in Oristown, Co Meath.

His brother Kieran acknowledged it would be a “difficult day” for the family.

“There is hope but the other side of the coin is you have to hold back your emotions as well,” he said.

Three unsuccessful searches covering 10 acres of the bogland have already been carried out, the most recent in 2010.

It is understood the latest bid to find the body comes after new information was received by the Independent Commission for the Location of Victims’ Remains — the body set up jointly by the British and Irish governments to liaise with former paramilitaries to find the Disappeared.

It will focus on five acres of bogland not previously examined.

The first week of the operation will involve a survey of the site by forensic archaeologists using radar to try to identify anomalies beneath the surface.

When the results are assessed a decision on whether to commence fresh excavations will be made.

Mr Megraw stressed the importance of those with information giving it to the commission.

“It will be a difficult day,” he said. “The previous searches were three or four years ago and at that stage you wondered what the next step would be, but thankfully something has come in to the commission that they feel warrants some actions, which is good to hear.

“We are obviously grateful for whoever has put forward the information.

“We have been making appeals, like the other families [of the Disappeared] have been making appeals, so it is good to know that some information is coming in.”

Geoff Knupfer from the ICLVR said: “No one, least of all Brendan’s family, is under any illusion that this is anything other than a huge task.

“But, with the right information, we are confident that we can find Brendan.”

Mr Megraw, from Twinbrook, was looking forward to the birth of his first child and was due to start a new job on a ship when he went missing.

The IRA claimed he had confessed to being a British provocateur and Military Reaction Force undercover agent in 1978.

The ICVLR was established in 1999 after the Good Friday agreement and is acknowledged as a world leader in the search and recovery of human remains from bogland. The remains of 10 of the Disappeared have been recovered.


© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved

Email Updates

Receive our lunchtime briefing straight to your inbox

More in this Section

Cabinet warned demands for extra funds will be viewed 'extremely negatively'

HSE and gardaí ordered to release key reports

Former Cork tax office to be knocked after two fires

Farming survey: One third of farmers don’t think farming hits climate


Breaking Stories

New recruits 'excited' about joining An Garda Siochána at a time of 'change' in the force

Theresa May: 'We will not accept any physical infrastructure at the border' post-Brexit

Safe for customers in 3 areas in the West to turn on gas supplies; rest to be phased in over weekend

Plans unveiled for new Dublin suburb

Lifestyle

Getting clean and lean: James Duigan on the simplicity of changing your food habits

Ask Audrey: You’re 9 on the Crazy Scale, where 1 is sane and 10 is flying with Ryanair

Get out and enjoy: What's on offer for Culture Night?

Upper crusts: Eight sourdough breads tested

More From The Irish Examiner