US given 10 days to request extradition of child porn suspect

The United States has 10 days to formally request the extradition of a man from Ireland who has been accused of being “the largest facilitator of child porn on the planet”.

Eric Eoin Marques, who has Irish and US citizenship, has been remanded in custody for another week after appearing before the High Court in Dublin.

US authorities are seeking his extradition on four charges in connection to website images described as being extremely violent, graphic and depicting the rape and torture of pre-pubescent children.

An FBI special agent last week told the court the suspect, who has an address on Mountjoy Square in Dublin’s north inner city, is accused of being “the largest facilitator of child porn on the planet”.

If convicted, he faces sentences of up to 30 years in prison.

Dressed in black jeans and an Adidas T-shirt, Marques stood at the back of the packed court flanked by prison officers during the short hearing, with members of his family nearby.

The court heard the 28-year-old was arrested last Thursday in the city on a provisional warrant and refused bail last Friday morning amid fears he was a flight risk and would interfere with evidence.

Ronan Kennedy BL, for the Attorney General, asked the judge to remand the suspect for another week in anticipation of a formal request for extradition from the US which will be received and certified by Justice Minister Alan Shatter by then.

The accused can be held for up to 18 days for a request, he said.

“If at that juncture a formal request for extradition is not received and not certified by the minister, Mr Marques will be released,” he added.

Mr Justice Paul McDermott warned Mr Kennedy “time was running out” before granting the application.

No objection was made by Marques’s legal team.


More in this Section

Families evacuated after gas explosion in Belfast

No Lotto winner - jackpot heads for €7m

Abortion referendum moves closer as committee votes against retaining 8th Amendment

Gardaí enlist Civil Defence to use drone in search for armed raider in Clare


Today's Stories

OPW to use demountable barriers in €140m Cork flood plan

Cork City Council defends mayor’s use of official car to drive him home from FF ard fheis

Medic: Savita died as result of abortion laws

Port of Cork's Captain Michael McCarthy named October 'Cork Person of the Month’

Lifestyle

Facing fears while terrifying punters at Cork's Nightmare Realm

Weathering the storm of 1961: We watched 30 large trees uprooted

Remembering the dead: Poignant reason behind Cork’s Zombie Walk

More From The Irish Examiner