Priest's High Court libel action against RTE listed for next month

A High Court libel action by a priest against RTE for wrongly accusing him of raping a minor while in Kenya is to go ahead next month.

The broadcaster has already apologised to Father Kevin Reynolds for the Prime Time broadcast on May 23 last.

Fr Reynolds received standing ovations in mass in Ahascaragh, Galway when he told parishioners he felt "freed from lies and false allegations" following an apology from RTE last week.

On its website, the State broadcaster acknowledges it defamed the Mill Hill missionary by accusing him of raping a woman in Kenya and fathering her child.

The priest immediately denied the allegations and offered to undergo a paternity test.

Today his barrister Frank Callinan told the High Court he was very anxious to get a hearing date for the upcoming libel action against RTE.

The jury trial has been listed for November 15 and is likely to run for three or four days.

More in this Section

Storm Clodagh still disrupting flights as ESB continue to work on restoring power

Catherine Murphy calls on Irish government to take climate change action

North to export pork to China after two plants approved

Relatives remember loved ones who have taken their own lives

You might also like

Today's Stories

Banking inquiry members welcome shorter report but Government may beef up investigations if necessary

Carrickmines residents and Traveller community at odds before fatal fire

Children with specialised needs sent abroad due to care shortage

Cork Penny Dinners pleads with Government to use 1916 money to help homeless


Equal pay for equal work but no country pays men and women the same

Boredom is a key part of creativity and should be explored

BIG READ: Sexism and fear keeping women away from Hollywood's top jobs

Eat your way to an illness free winter

More From The Irish Examiner