Police attacked and cars set alight in Belfast disturbances

Police have been attacked and cars torched by masked youths apparently angered by the removal of wood from the site of a nationalist bonfire in Belfast.

The disturbances in the Markets area, close to the city centre, saw officers targeted with petrol bombs, bricks and bottles while a number of cars were totally destroyed.

The incidents have centred in the Stewart Street and Friendly Street areas of the predominantly nationalist neighbourhood.

A parked car set alight by youths burns on Stewart Street in Belfast. Picture: David Young/PA Wire

While a number of cars were burned out, the windows of other were smashed, with paint also thrown over them.

Police Service of Northern Ireland superintendent Andrea McMullan said the "localised" disorder was the fault of a "small group of youths".

"We are working with local representatives and members of the community to address the situation," she said.

"There has been some stone-throwing, damage to parked cars and a number of petrol bombs have also been thrown.

"Local residents of the Markets do not want this kind of activity on their doorsteps and we would urge those engaged in violence and criminal damage to stop - and go home."

The vandalism unfolded after wood from a bonfire site was removed from the area in a Belfast City Council operation on Monday morning.

Tensions have been raised in some loyalist and nationalist areas in Belfast this summer amid efforts by the council to take action against a number of unregulated fires.

Bonfires will be lit in some nationalist/republican areas later this week to mark the anniversary of the introduction of the controversial state policy of internment without trial.

A council spokeswoman said: "We can confirm that bonfire material was removed from a car park during an operation in the Markets area today."

The streets are adjacent to Belfast Central train station. A number of the cars are understood to belong to commuters.

The Sinn Fein councillor for the Markets area, Deirdre Hargey, said: "The damage to cars in Stewart Street is unacceptable and I condemn those responsible in the strongest possible way.

"Both commuters and residents have been affected. Cars have been smashed with stones and several have been set alight. It is nothing short of mindless vandalism."

Ms Hargey said there had been other incidents of vandalism over the weekend.

"There is no defending this behaviour at all and it needs to stop now," she said.

"I’m asking all parents to take responsibility for their children and know where they are at all times.

"The community does not want this type of behaviour and it’s not representative of the people of this area."


Related Articles

More in this Section

Elderly man dies in overnight house fire in Mayo

Irish Rail to meet unions in attempt to settle pay dispute

Schools won’t have to open for extra days after Ophelia closures

Appeal ruling delay sees drink driving cases being struck out


Today's Stories

OPW to use demountable barriers in €140m Cork flood plan

Cork City Council defends mayor’s use of official car to drive him home from FF ard fheis

Medic: Savita died as result of abortion laws

Fine Gael to use whip for vote on drink-driving laws

Lifestyle

Facing fears while terrifying punters at Cork's Nightmare Realm

Weathering the storm of 1961: We watched 30 large trees uprooted

Remembering the dead: Poignant reason behind Cork’s Zombie Walk

More From The Irish Examiner