- No complacency despite good results
A return to top rankings in reading and maths should not lead to complacency over school reforms, Education Minister Ruairi Quinn has said.
- Ministers apologise to murdered RUC officers’ families
Government ministers have apologised to the families of two senior RUC officers killed by the IRA with the help of at least one or more gardaí.
- Detroit eligible for bankruptcy, judge rules
Detroit is eligible to shed billions in debt in the largest public bankruptcy in US history, a judge said in a long-awaited decision that shifts the case toward how the city will accomplish that task.
- Uncle of Kim Jong-un ousted as associates executed
North Korean leader Kim Jong-un's uncle, seen as his nephew's political regent and one of the most powerful men in the country, has apparently been ousted and several associates executed, South Korea's spy agency said.
- Figures a huge boost for Government
The latest exchequer figures will provide a huge boost to the Government's efforts to make a successful exit from the EU/IMF bailout programme later this month.
- ‘Trading conditions improving’ as SMEs seek less credit
Improved trading conditions have resulted in demand for bank finance among SMEs falling to the lowest level for two years.
- Stopping the great North express
Having faced an All Blacks back three of Israel Dagg, Cory Jane and Julian Savea, Dave Kearney pretty much ticked every box in one 80-minute period in terms of defending attacking threats.
- O’Neill wants hurling black card
GAA President Liam O'Neill has expressed his desire for the black card to be introduced to hurling.
- Taking the Turner by surprise
LAURE PROUVOST'S win of the Turner Prize for 2013 is the latest in a long line of surprises that have helped keep the visual arts award in the news.
- Festival focus on film great Harris
Why did nobody think of it before? The inaugural Richard Harris International Film Festival gets underway in his hometown of Limerick this weekend (Dec 6), 11 years after Ireland's greatest Hollywood star of the 20th century passed away.