Antrim deny attempt to remove Davy Fitzgerald as hurlers skip training

In a statement issued on Wednesday, Antrim chairman Seamus McMullan said "at no point was any decision taken to remove Davy Fitzgerald from his position"
Antrim deny attempt to remove Davy Fitzgerald as hurlers skip training

Davy Fitzgerald is in his second season as Antrim hurling manager. Pic: Ben McShane/Sportsfile

The Antrim senior hurlers did not train on Tuesday night amid tensions with the county board executive concerning the future of manager Davy Fitzgerald.

The squad had asked to speak to officials regarding a request made by a member of the board executive to the 2013 All-Ireland SHC-winning boss to step down on Sunday. However, the meeting did not take place.

That contact with Fitzgerald came a day after the county’s Joe McDonagh Cup, Round 2 defeat to Laois, their second loss in the competition. However, the approach to end his term, which commenced at the end of 2024, was later retracted.

In a letter to the board, the players had expressed disgruntlement with how the Clare native had been requested to step aside without consultation with the group.

The Irish Examiner understands an individual had been asked to take over in an interim capacity for the remainder of the county’s Joe McDonagh Cup campaign but turned it down.

In a statement issued on Wednesday, Antrim chairman Seamus McMullan said "at no point was any decision taken to remove Davy Fitzgerald from his position as senior hurling manager".

The players’ letter to the board opened: “The Antrim Senior Hurling Squad wish to formally raise a number of concerns regarding recent events that have caused confusion and frustration within the group.

“Firstly, there is significant concern surrounding the situation involving Davy. It is understood that a decision was made to remove Davy from his position, only for that decision to be later reversed.

“When this was subsequently raised and questioned, the squad were informed that no such action had taken place. Furthermore, when this was brought to Seamus (McMullan), the chairman was asked directly about the matter and indicated that he had no knowledge of it.

“This is particularly concerning given that Davy, other members of the management team, have all confirmed that the sequence of events did in fact occur. The contradiction between what occurred and what has been communicated has created uncertainty and a lack of trust among the players.” 

The squad have also raised issues with some of their members not yet receiving their full allocation of playing gear, as per the players’ charter agreed by the GAA with the Gaelic Players Association.

In the correspondence, they requested clarification on the sequences of events regarding the decision about Fitzgerald; an explanation as to why conflicting information was provided when they raised the matter; an update on the status of outstanding training gear and when it would be resolved as well as reassurance that clearer communication processes will be implemented in the future.

The players had threatened not to go ahead with training on Tuesday evening if McMullan and “other relevant board members” were not in a position to engage with them.

McMullan was not available to meet the players due to prior commitments. At 6pm, they held their own one-hour meeting before Fitzgerald spoke to them briefly afterwards. No training session followed.

The statement from McMullan reads: 

"Antrim GAA received correspondence (28th April 2026), issued on behalf of players from the senior hurling squad.

“We fully acknowledge the concerns raised in the letter. I have assured players’ representatives I am treating those issues very seriously and will address them directly.

“Whilst prior commitments that could not be changed at short notice meant a meeting on the same day the letter was received was not possible, we are working closely with players’ representatives and my priority is making sure we move forward together.

“I would like to be clear: at no point was any decision taken to remove Davy Fitzgerald from his position as senior hurling manager. This was confirmed at the County Committee meeting of 27 April 2026.

“Antrim senior hurling results and performances this season have been very disappointing and have understandably caused frustration for everyone. As a County Committee we will always work hard to take decisions in the best interest of Antrim GAA. As a lifelong Gael, I believe those decisions must be taken in the right way.”

After relegation from the Liam MacCarthy Cup last season, Antrim’s chances of reaching a McDonagh Cup final are slim having lost to Down and Laois. They are due to face London in Ruislip on Sunday week.

More in this section