Unsolved heist captivates 44 years on

On a rainy morning in Dec 1968, a police motorcyclist screeched to a halt in front of a cash-laden Tokyo bank vehicle and ordered four men to get out, warning it was about to explode.

Seconds after the cop ducked underneath the car, plumes of smoke began billowing up and he screamed at them to flee.

“It’s dynamite. It’s going to blow!” he yelled, sending the terrified men running for their lives.

Then he calmly climbed behind the wheel and drove off with 300m yen, never to be seen again.

It was Japan’s biggest-ever cash heist, netting the crook the equivalent of €2.7m today, and leaving a mystery that remains unsolved 44 years later.

A huge police probe cost over €9m and involved hundreds of detectives — two of whom died of exhaustion working on the case — and questioning 118,000 people.

Decades later the crime continues to captivate the nation, spawning books, films, television dramas, and a comic book.

Four unarmed employees of the Nippon Trust Bank were delivering year-end bonuses and other monies totalling 294,307,500 yen to a Toshiba plant in a quiet Tokyo suburb.

They were 180 metres from the factory when the police motorcycle overtook them, outside the walls of Japan’s biggest prison.

The rider, wearing a police uniform and sitting astride a white Yamaha, told the men there had been an explosion at a branch manager’s home.

Days earlier, their own manager had received a bomb threat in the mail.

“We have been informed your car may be wired with dynamite,” the counterfeit cop said as he crawled underneath the vehicle.

Investigators said the smoke the men saw was actually a harmless flare, but it was enough to send them running for cover, giving the robber plenty of time to make his getaway.

The 19-year-old son of a real local motorcycle policeman emerged as the chief suspect, but just five days after the robbery he was dead, having swallowed potassium cyanide that his father had bought.

The man insisted on his son’s innocence and there was no clear evidence to implicate the boy, despite him being the leader of a local youth gang.

A 26-year-old man, a skilled driver working at a Canadian government office in Tokyo, was arrested a year later because he resembled a composite portrait of the robber.

His alibis checked out and he was released without charge.

The statute of limitations ran out after seven years and one of Japan’s biggest ever police investigations was folded up.

Although the cash heist record has since been rewritten — it is now held by a €5.7m sting on a Tokyo security company last year — the ‘300 Million Yen Robbery’ lives on in the popular imagination.


I don't remember a lot of shouting in my household growing up, and neither does my twin.Mum's the Word: How did my parents manage to create a calm household?

The TripAdvisor Travellers’ Choice Awards have been revealed. These are the destinations that came out tops.3 emerging destinations to add to your travel wish list – according to TripAdvisor data

The recent death of Caroline Flack has once again brought the issue of internet trolls and cancel culture back into public discourse.Learning Points: The reality is we all play a role in cancel culture

Rita de Brún speaks with Sean McKeown, Fota Wildlife Park director and longtime Cork resident.‘You’ve got to make the changes you want to see’, says Fota Wildlife director

More From The Irish Examiner