Toddler needed 200 stitches after collie attack

A TODDLER needed 200 stitches in his face after being horrifically injured by his grandmother’s collie.

Two-year-old Joshua Mann underwent emergency surgery but will still be scarred for life following the attack.

Joshua will have to endure further surgery before he can go home to Brockworth, near Gloucester.

His mother, Lisa Mann, 23, spoke of her shock at seeing her bloodied son in hospital. “I thought he was going to die. He looked in so much pain,” she said.

“All I wanted to do was pick him up and hold him, but I wasn’t allowed.

“It was the worst feeling ever.”

The attack happened on Saturday when Joshua was at his grandparents’ farm in Andoversford, near Cheltenham.

“Joshua was stroking the sheep dog, Rossie, when he jumped up and latched onto his face. Rossie pulled him to the ground and wouldn’t release him.

“His dad and others ran over and started punching the dog to get him to let go,” his mother said.

Joshua was taken to the Gloucestershire Royal Hospital, where he underwent two operations to repair the damage to his face.

He underwent a third operation yesterday.

“When I turned up, seeing the injuries for the first time, I nearly passed out with the sight of blood.

“The size of his face was unreal, the way it had swelled up.

“You could see right through his cheek to his teeth, the cut went through to the inside of his mouth.

“He also has wounds to his neck that were millimetres from the main artery carrying blood to the brain.

“He has scars all over his back, the back of his head and behind his ear.”

The dog has since been put down.

Mann is now warning parents to take care around all dogs, not just those seen as dangerous breeds.

“You just need to be more aware, if a dog is not brought up around children, if they’re not used to them, they can just go.

“People naturally think it’s pitbulls, rottweilers and the other dangerous breeds, but this was a collie. It’s not usual that a collie would do this, but he wasn’t brought up with children and snapped.

“If a dog is not used to the attention, it’s just not worth it. You should just not have them in the same room,” she added.

The RSPCA warned parents that no matter how kind and trustworthy a pet may be, any dog can potentially pose a risk.

Spokeswoman Jude Clay said: “The RSPCA believes that a dangerous dog is not defined by breed.

“Our thoughts go out to the family concerned at this time and we wish the boy a speedy recovery.”


Lifestyle

I’d always promised myself a day off school when Gay Bryne died.Secret diary of an Irish teacher: I’ve been thinking about my students, wondering who their ‘Gay Byrne’ will be

In an industry where women battle ageism and sexism, Meryl Streep has managed to decide her own destiny – and roles, writes Suzanne HarringtonJeepers Streepers: Hollywood royalty, all hail queen Meryl

'Ask Audrey' has been the newspaper's hysterical agony aunt “for ages, like”.Ask Audrey: Guten tag. Vot the f**k is the story with your cycle lanes?

Daphne Wright’s major new exhibition at the Crawford addresses such subjects as ageing and consumerism, writes Colette SheridanFinding inspiration in domestic situations

More From The Irish Examiner