A toddler was found alone and scavenging for food and water in his home after both his mum and baby brother tragically died.
Erika Tomassian died while feeding her adopted baby Michael, who then also died from choking on a piece of food while in his high chair.
Ms Tomassian’s two-year-old son, Nathan, was left scared and alone and was found severely hydrated by police in Los Angeles.
A neighbour had alerted emergency services after she heard Nathan’s cries coming from inside the Hollywood apartment.
It is thought that Ms Tomassian, who was in her 40s, died as a result of complications from a recent bout of bronchitis.
Officers who arrived at the scene were faced with a tragic sight, according to LAPD Lt John Jenal.
He told KTLA5: “They saw a mother on the floor who apparently was deceased from natural causes, and they saw a one-year-old that was strapped into a seat as though she had been feeding him deceased as well.
“It appeared that he had aspirated on some food.
“A two-year-old was rummaging around trying to survive.”
He added: “What adds tragedy to this is that this woman had just opened up her heart and her home to these two boys and adopted them.”
Nathan is being cared for at a nearby hospital while police attempt to locate his blood relatives.
Ms Tomassian moved to Los Angeles from Sydney, Australia, before adopting the two boys.
The new mother had not been feeling well and sought medical attention and was ultimately diagnosed with bronchitis, ABC7 reported.
When a neighbour who knew Tomassian had been sick could not get in touch with her, he went to her apartment, hearing a child crying and called 911, wrote ABC7.
© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved