Teens who preyed on homeless ‘beat 2 men to death’

Three teenagers accused of fatally beating two homeless men beyond recognition with cinder blocks, bricks and a metal fence pole may have been terrorising transients around Albuquerque for months, police said.

A man who identified himself as the father of two of the boys said they were once homeless themselves and he had no idea what prompted the beatings. One of the boys told police they had attacked about 50 homeless people over the last few months, but had never gone that far. But on Friday night, he was angry about breaking up with his girlfriend, he said.

Alex Rios, 18, and two boys aged 16 and 15, were ordered to be held on $5 million (€3,712,896) bail each during initial court appearances.

They face murder charges stemming from the brutal attack in an Albuquerque lot where neighbours say transients regularly camped at night.

Following their arrest, the 15-year-old also told police that the trio had been targeting homeless people for the past year, according to a criminal complaint.

The district attorney’s office said the younger suspects were charged as serious youthful offenders, meaning they could be tried in adult court.

According to the criminal complaint, the 15-year-old told police the attack lasted more than an hour, and the trio took turns picking up cinder blocks over their heads and smashing them into the faces of the men who had been sleeping in the field across from his home.

A third transient who escaped led police to the boys, whom he said were known for attacking homeless people.


Lifestyle

Columnist and trained counsellor Fiona Caine offers guidance to a woman who’s growing resentful of her widowed mum’s needy behaviour.Ask a counsellor: My mother is so clingy since losing my dad – what can I do?

More From The Irish Examiner