Siberian child dies of anthrax

A child has died of anthrax in Siberia in the first fatal outbreak of the bacterial disease reported in Russia in 75 years, the regional governor’s office said.

A 12-year-old nomad died of anthrax and 20 more people have been diagnosed with it following the outbreak in a remote area, according to the office of Yamalo-Nenets governor Dmitry Kobylkin.

Hundreds of nomadic reindeer herders have been evacuated to the regional capital, Salekhard, for treatment and 90 of them have been taken to hospital.

More than 2,300 reindeer have died in the outbreak in the region 2,000km north -east of Moscow. Mr Kobylkin said all reindeer in the area have now been vaccinated and the deaths have stopped.

He also sought to dispel fears that anthrax could spread to a wider area.

“There is no epidemic in Yamal,” Mr Kobylkin said.

“Only a small area was quarantined. The overwhelming majority of the nomads from the quarantined territory are healthy but Yamal doctors provide them with preventive treatment.”

The government will €1.3m to help the nomads, who are indigenous to the remote region, build new homes in a new settlement.

Yamal’s nomads live in dwellings called chums.


Lifestyle

I am dating a lovely guy. However, he seems really awkward about being naked in front of me.Sex File: Boyfriend keeps his T-shirt on during sex

To instantly power up your look, veer towards the hard shoulder.Bold shoulder: How to instantly power up your look

Plums are a wonderful autumn fruit, useful for all sorts of recipes both sweet and savoury. In Ireland we are blessed with wonderfully sweet plums.Currabinny Cooks: Juicy plums work for both sweet and savoury dishes

The rise of home skincare devices doesn't mean that salons and clinics no longer serve a purpose.The Skin Nerd: Don’t try this at home — new treatments in the salon

More From The Irish Examiner