Sewing mishap could have left Rottweiler paralysed

A dog could have been left paralysed after swallowing a needle and thread, according to a vet charity.

Broxi, an 18-month-old Rottweiler, left her owners puzzled after they found a sewing bobbin in her bed.

The dog later began coughing and subsequently went off her food, so her owner Kirsty Ferri, of Paisley in Renfrewshire, took her to the PDSA at Glasgow’s Shamrock Street.

Vets at the centre carried out Xrays and found that the dog had a needle lodged close to her spine.

Vet Hannah McIvor said: “When we took an Xray we could see there was a needle which had gone through her throat and travelled down to her spine.

“If it had reached her spinal cord it could have caused meningitis or left her paralysed.

“When we looked closer at the Xray and examined the back of Broxi’s throat we could see there was still a bit of thread attached.

“This was incredibly lucky as it meant we were able to carefully pull the thread from her mouth and remove the needle without having to operate.

“I’ve never seen anything like this before. It just goes to show you how important it is to be vigilant and keep harmful objects out of pets’ reach.”


Lifestyle

Liz O’Brien talks to Niall Breslin about his admiration for frontline staff, bereavement in lockdown, his new podcast, and why it's so important for us all just to slow down.Niall Breslin talks about losing his uncle to coronavirus

Podcasts are often seen as a male domain — see the joke, 'What do you call two white men talking? A podcast'.Podcast corner: Three new podcasts from Irish women that you should listen to

Esther McCarthy previews some of the Fleadh’s Irish and international offerings.How to attend the Galway Film Fleadh from the comfort of your own couch

Whether you’re on staycation or risking a trip away, Marjorie Brennan offers suggestions on novels for a wide variety of tastesThe best fiction books for the beach and beyond this summer

More From The Irish Examiner