Ryan Lochte apologises for false claims of armed robbery

US Olympic swimmer Ryan Lochte has apologised for his behaviour surrounding a late-night incident at a Rio de Janeiro petrol station, saying he should have been more “careful and candid” about how he described what happened.

Lochte said in a lengthy post on Instagram that he was apologising for his role in taking the focus away from other Olympic athletes.

The 12-time gold medallist reiterated his view that a stranger pointed a gun at him and demanded money to let him leave.

Lochte had called it a robbery; Brazilian police said he and three other swimmers vandalised a petrol station toilet and were confronted by armed security guards.

“I accept responsibility for my role in this happening and have learned some valuable lessons,” said Lochte.

Two of the other swimmers, Gunnar Bentz and Jack Conger, were on their way home after being held in the country to provide information.

The fourth swimmer, Jimmy Feigen, made a deal with a Brazil judge to make a payment of 35,000 Brazilian reals (€9,500) and be allowed to leave the country later last night, his lawyer said.

“We accept and appreciate his apology,” said Mario Andrada, spokesman for the local organisers of the Rio Games.

The drama surrounding the alleged robbery — and the ever-changing descriptions of it by the swimmers — has shocked and deeply angered Brazilians, who said it cast a false negative shadow on their city and their Olympics at a time the country is eager to prove it can host the Games safely.

The rapid-fire developments came hours after police announced Lochte and three teammates had not been held at gunpoint after a night of partying, as Lochte claimed.

Instead, police said the men, while intoxicated, vandalised a petrol station toilet and were questioned by armed guards before they paid for the damage and left.

“No robbery was committed against these athletes. They were not victims of the crimes they claimed,” said civil police chief Fernando Veloso.

As Bentz and Conger were whisked through airport security and on to a plane home on Thursday night, their lawyer insisted they had nothing to do with Lochte’s story.

Lochte himself left the country earlier this week.

More on this topic

Rio Olympic head Carlos Nuzman charged with corruptionRio Olympic head Carlos Nuzman charged with corruption

President of Rio2016 games, Carlos Nuzman, could be suspended after arrest, say IOC President of Rio2016 games, Carlos Nuzman, could be suspended after arrest, say IOC

Pat Hickey could be back in Ireland soonPat Hickey could be back in Ireland soon

Olympic tickets inquiry calls on affected Irish fans to come forwardOlympic tickets inquiry calls on affected Irish fans to come forward


Lifestyle

These are the nail hues to choose this season, says Katie Wright.Perfectly polished: 5 autumn/winter nail trends you’ll actually want to wear

This early 19th-century table is one of a number of Irish lots at Sotheby’s Style, Furniture and Ceramics sale in New York on Thursday (October 24).Irish lots poised to add bite to Big Apple sale

Something for all at Hegarty’s auction in Bandon, says Des O’SullivanSomething for all at Hegarty’s auction in Bandon

Des O’Sullivan gives a preview of the Irish selection on offer at two sales in DublinPreview of the Irish selection on offer at two sales in Dublin

More From The Irish Examiner