The Top Gear producer attacked by Jeremy Clarkson in a fracas which cost the BBC presenter his job has said he does not want to press charges against his former colleague.
Oisin Tymon has informed North Yorkshire Police that he does not want to take any further action against Clarkson, who was this week told his Top Gear contract will not been renewed by the BBC after an angry and lengthy tirade in a hotel over food.
Mr Tymon had his lip split in a 30-second-long assault on March 4 and had to take himself to hospital with his injuries. He was also shouted at by the former Top Gear presenter in a torrent of verbal abuse.
Clarkson reported the incident to the BBC five days later and was suspended by the broadcaster on March 10.
Police yesterday said they had “a duty to investigate” the incident and had spoken to potential witnesses.
Mr Tymon’s lawyer, Paul Daniels, yesterday issued a statement in which he said his client “has informed the police that he doesn’t want to press charges”.
He said: “The events of the last few weeks have been extremely unpleasant for everyone involved. The matter has taken a great toll on Oisin, his family and his friends.
“Quite simply, Mr Tymon just wishes to return now to the job at the BBC he loves, as soon as possible.
“Further, the BBC have, in his view, taken action with a view to addressing the issues at hand.
“Mr Tymon agrees with the BBC’s stated view that all parties should now be allowed to move on, so far as possible.”
North Yorkshire Police said the force is still investigating the incident. A spokesman said: “Inquiries are ongoing.”
Police could yet bring a charge against 54-year-old Clarkson, although it appears any prosecution would be without the support of the victim.
© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved