Prince had arranged to meet a doctor to try to kick an addiction to painkillers shortly before his death, according to a newspaper report.
Prince’s representatives called Dr Howard Kornfeld on April 20, the day before the musician died, to seek emergency help, lawyer William Mauzy told the Minneapolis Star Tribune.
Mr Mauzy, who is representing the Kornfeld family, said Dr Kornfeld could not immediately meet Prince, so he sent his son Andrew on a flight from San Francisco that night to discuss treatment in a meeting planned for the next day.
Mr Mauzy said it was Andrew Kornfeld who called emergency services when Prince’s unresponsive body was found in a lift at Paisley Park, the singer’s suburban Minneapolis compound.
Law enforcement sources said investigators are looking into whether Prince died from an overdose.
The sources also said investigators are looking at whether Prince had suffered an overdose when his plane made an emergency landing in Moline, Illinois, less than a week before he died.
Dr Kornfeld runs Recovery Without Walls in Mill Valley, California. His website describes the practice as “specialising in innovative, evidence-based medical treatment for chronic pain and drug and alcohol addiction”.
Mr Mauzy told the newspaper that Prince representatives called Dr Kornfeld on the night of April 20 because Prince “was dealing with a grave medical emergency”.
Dr Kornfeld sent his son to explain how the confidential treatment would work, Mr Mauzy said.
“The plan was to quickly evaluate his health and devise a treatment plan,” Mr Mauzy said. “The doctor was planning on a lifesaving mission.”
Mr Mauzy said Andrew Kornfeld arrived at Paisley Park at 9.30am on April 21 and was one of three people who found Prince’s body.
A postmortem examination was carried out the day after Prince’s death but results, including toxicology results, were not expected for as many as four weeks.
Mr Mauzy said Andrew Kornfeld had been interviewed by investigators.
Prince and painkillers are just the tip of the iceberg — American medicine kills a quarter million each year https://t.co/bbRE2lBx9A— Salon (@Salon) May 4, 2016
© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved