Iraq demands changes to draft security pact with United States

IRAQ has demanded changes be made to a draft security pact with the United States after it failed to win the support of its political leaders despite months of painstaking negotiations with Washington.

The announcement effectively reopens negotiations which had led last week to the unveiling of a draft that would require US forces to leave Iraq by the end of 2011. The objections appear to be about details rather than the broad thrust of the pact.

“The cabinet has agreed that necessary amendments to the pact could make it nationally accepted,” government spokesman Ali al-Dabbagh said after a cabinet meeting.

“The cabinet will continue its meetings [in the coming days], in which ministers will give their opinions and consult and provide the amendments suggested. Then this will be given to the American negotiating team.”

The announcement was an apparent reversal for Baghdad, which had previously described last week’s draft as a final text and said as recently as Saturday that it was unlikely to be renegotiated. Political leaders from most parties withheld their support for the text at a meeting last Sunday.

The draft would require US troops to leave Iraq after 2011 unless asked to stay. It also allows Iraqi courts to try US service members accused of serious crimes.

It would mean that the foreign troops, which now operate under a UN Security Council mandate, would function for the first time under the authority of the elected government in Baghdad. Both sides call it a milestone for Iraqi sovereignty.

But some Iraqi politicians have expressed reservations over details such as the mechanism for holding trials of US troops.

Only Kurdish groups have so far given the text full support.

Humam Hamoudi, a leading member of parliament from the Shi’ite alliance, said that among those voicing doubts in recent days was prime minister Nuri al-Maliki, who has yet to speak about the pact in public.

“The prime minister said: what (the Americans) have given with the right hand they have taken away with the left hand,” Hamoudi told a news conference. “For example, they said the US forces will withdraw from towns by June 2009 if the security situation permits that. But who will decide that?”

Maliki’s Shi’ite rivals — followers of cleric Moqtada al-Sadr — strongly oppose the pact, as does the leadership of mainly Shi’ite Iran, which has influence among Iraqi Shi’ites and says the pact would give US forces a long-term foothold in the region.

A senior, non-Shi’ite government source said the delay was prompted by Shi’ite politicians under Iranian pressure.

“It seems there was a [Shi’ite] alliance decision to reject it,” he said. “I can only explain these Shi’ite delaying tactics by Iranian pressure. There’s no other explanation, especially as it’s the Shi’ites who negotiated it in the first place.”

US officials say they are happy with the current draft and have not said whether they would be willing to renegotiate it.

“[The Iraqis] are looking at the text, they are having discussions about it and that is part of the process,” said US embassy spokeswoman Susan Ziadeh.


Lifestyle

The calendar for upcoming sales is filling up nicely as auctioneers adapt, says Des O’SullivanAntiques: No shortage of online opportunities to collect

More From The Irish Examiner