Filmmaker Roman Polanski has been questioned by a prosecutor in Poland concerning a US request for his extradition on 1977 sex charges.
Boguslawa Marcinkowska, spokeswoman for the prosecutor’s office in Krakow, southern Poland, said the prosecutor questioned the director late Wednesday and was writing a report for the court that will decide whether to extradite Polanski. She refused to divulge any details of the questioning. In line with Poland’s privacy laws, she identified Polanski only as Roman P.
The Oscar-winning filmmaker is in Poland preparing for a movie he wants to film there in July. His movements are restricted by an Interpol warrant in effect in 188 countries, but he is avoiding extradition by travelling only between France, Poland, and Switzerland, which in 2010 refused to extradite him. He has Polish and French passports. He said yesterday he believes he will not be extradited.
Last year, Krakow prosecutors refused a US request to arrest Polanski, 81, but obliged him to be available on summons. The extradition request came this year, citing charges of sex with a minor.
Polanski pleaded guilty in the US in 1977 to a charge of unlawful sexual intercourse, and was sentenced to prison for a 90-day psychiatric evaluation. He was released after 42 days and, fearing the judge would force him to serve the remainder of the sentence, he fled the country.
Poland generally does not allow extradition of its citizens, but has an extradition agreement with the US.
Court’s approval of the extradition can be reversed by the justice minister, while court’s refusal is final.
© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved