Mother and daughter rescued after five days in New Zealand wilderness

An American exchange student and her mother were rescued after spending five days lost in the New Zealand wilderness when a helicopter pilot spotted huge “help” signs they had made from fern fronds.

The pair, Carolyn Lloyd, 47, and her 22-year-old daughter Rachel, from North Carolina, were plucked to safety after rescue teams saw the signs — one in a river bed, the other in a clearing — and then the two women waving frantically below. 

They were airlifted to Wellington Hospital, with Rachel suffering hypothermia and undernourishment. 

Her mother was unscathed and was by her bedside.

Their ordeal began when they set off on a day’s hiking trip in the expansive Tararua Forest Park, in Wellington. 

Mrs Lloyd was on a trip to see her daughter, who was completing a term studying abroad at Massey University in Palmerston North.

But after a three-hour hike to the summit, they lost their way on the descent, getting stuck on a tiny ledge atop a 182-metre (600-foot) waterfall. 

As it got dark, they straddled a tree and lay atop one another to keep warm, keeping each other awake so they wouldn’t fall over the edge.

The following day they forged ahead by scaling down the cliff next to the waterfall.

“There would be one tiny little rock, or one tiny shrub, and we’d swing to the next thing,” Rachel recounted.

Once down, they followed a stream, figuring it would lead eventually to civilisation. 

But they were forced to keep switching sides and Rachel fell head first into the icy water, hitting her head on a rock.

“That’s when I started going downhill,” she said.

“I could never get dry and couldn’t get warm the rest of the trip.”

Mrs Lloyd piggybacked her daughter at times with temperatures falling close to freezing at night.

“At this point it was very scary,” said Rachel.

The next day they kept following the stream but it became deep and unpassable. 

They turned back and found a flat area with some sun and decided to stay put. Mrs Lloyd came up with the idea of making the 6ft high “help” signs. 

By now, authorities knew something was wrong. Mrs Lloyd had failed to check out of her hotel and return her hire car.

Police had been in touch with family members back in the US, who were frantic.


The singer is no stranger to sporting an array of pastel nail polishes.7 times Harry Styles had the perfect manicure

Gareth Cotter-Stone explores the magical city on the west coast of Ireland.Why you should visit Galway, European Capital of Culture 2020

More From The Irish Examiner