Pauline Cafferkey has spoken of her stress over misconduct allegations which remain unresolved more than 18 months on from her return to the UK with the virus.
The Scottish medical worker was infected while working with the sick in Sierra Leone in December 2014, at the height of the ebola crisis.
She flew back to the UK that month and went on to spend almost a month being treated in an isolation unit at London’s Royal Free Hospital. She made a recovery but was readmitted to hospital twice after suffering complications linked to the disease, at one stage falling critically ill.
In February last year it emerged that the regulatory body the Nursing and Midwifery Council was investigating Ms Cafferkey’s conduct after being passed information by Public Health England.
A preliminary hearing in which she was allowed to continue to work took place the following month but the case has not yet moved to a full hearing and remains at the investigation stage.
The body has the power to strike people off the professional register.
Ms Cafferkey told The Sunday Telegraph she would like to see matters resolved.
She told the newspaper: “The report on how they are dealing with my case is still ongoing. I don’t know why it has not been finished. It’s very stressful. It would be nice to have closure.”
The council said it is working with the nurse and her representatives to achieve a resolution.
A spokesman said: “We can confirm that the Nursing and Midwifery Council case regarding allegations of misconduct against Pauline Cafferkey is ongoing.
© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved