French police arrested a man carrying two handguns and a copy of the Koran at the Disneyland Paris amusement park outside Paris.
A police source said the 28-year-old man of European origin had been carrying the two guns, including an automatic handgun, concealed in a bag that also contained a copy of the religious text.
A woman accompanying the man was also arrested but has since been released.
France remains in a state of emergency since Islamist gunmen and suicide bombers killed 130 people in a series of jihadist attacks in and near Paris in November.
A spokeswoman for Euro Disney, which runs the amusement park and whose main shareholder is US-based Walt Disney Co, had no immediate information to offer about the incident.
The man was unknown to police prior to the incident and his bag set off a security alarm as he went through a metal detector at the park’s New York Hotel, the police source said.
The man was arrested without incident and police took him into custody.
French media reported that a security cordon was placed around the man’s car.
The man was said to be trying to enter the hotel near Disneyland outside Paris but there were conflicting reports about whether he already had a reservation.
French media reported that he did not appear to be known to the security services. Papers found on the suspect indicated that he lived in Paris.
However, no further details were available about him.
Disneyland Paris is situated about 30km east of the French capital and is the most visited theme park in Europe, with about 10m visitors in 2014.
Europe’s top police agency issued a warning only last Monday: Islamic State (IS) extremists will keep attempting lethal attacks on soft targets in Europe as the militant group increasingly goes global.
After the suicide bombers and gunmen killed 130 people in Paris, the Europol agency said: “There is every reason to expect that IS, IS-inspired terrorists or another religiously inspired terrorist group will undertake a terrorist attack somewhere in Europe again, but particularly in France, intended to cause mass casualties among the civilian population.”
The sobering conclusions reached by experts from the European Union’s chief agency for law enforcement cooperation and EU member states make clear that many, perhaps virtually all in Europe, may be at risk.
“Without reliable intelligence on the intentions, activities and contacts and travels of known terrorists it is nearly impossible to exactly predict when and where the next terrorist attack will take place, and what form it will take,” the Europol report said.
Hours before the report was issued, a new video was released by IS celebrating the killers who carried out the November 13 Paris attacks — while also threatening fresh bloodshed.
© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved