Hong Kong’s embattled leader Leung Chun-ying yesterday vowed to stay in office, warning students demanding his resignation that their pro-democracy movement was out of control.
Leung said the blockade of key parts of the Asian financial hub — now entering its third week — could not continue indefinitely.
Speaking in an interview with the local TVB television station, Leung said his government would continue to try to talk with student leaders but did not rule out the use of “minimum force” to clear the area.
The last few weeks had “proved that a mass movement is something easy to start, but difficult to stop”, he said.
“And no one can direct the direction and pace of this movement. It is now a movement that has lost control.”
Leung also warned that there was “zero chance” that China’s leaders in Beijing would change an August decision limiting democracy in Hong Kong.
The former British colony was promised that its freedoms would be protected under a “one country/two systems” formula, when Britain handed the colony back to China 17 years ago.
Beijing has said that only candidates screened by a nomination committee will be able to contest a full city-wide vote to choose the next chief executive in 2017.
The official People’s Daily in Beijing described the so-called Occupy Central movement as “unrest” in a front-page editorial on Saturday — language some analysts said reflected the growing unease among China’s leaders.
Leung’s comments came as the protest centre outside government head offices in Admiralty took on the feel of a festival campsite in a canyon of skyscrapers.
“In here, it is like a piece of green land,” said Maggie Cheung, a 27-year-old kindergarten teacher, who added that she would leave to start work today.
“People are caring and we are sharing the same goal — we fight for a better future. It is like utopia here.”
Some 200 tents now line Gloucester and Harcourt roads on what had been one of Hong Kong’s busiest thoroughfares leading to the glittering Central financial district.
Hundreds of protesters, young and old, slept overnight on Saturday in what some protesters described as the most peaceful, relaxed night yet.
Many family groups visited the site yesterday, taking advantage of balmy autumn conditions.
Protests escalated late last month after police used tear gas and batons on demonstrations and key streets in Central, Admiralty, Causeway Bay and Kowloon remain blocked.
Numbers dropped significantly last week, rising again on Friday night as 10,000 people turned out to hear protest leaders urge the public to prepare for a protracted struggle.
Despite the festival atmosphere in Admiralty, the situation remains tense on the streets of the gritty district of Mong Kok, with scuffles reported between police and protesters.
Though talks with student leaders were called off last week, Leung said yesterday that the government had to take account of the students’ demands, while adding that both their demands and actions had to be lawful.
© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved