Two girls aged 13 and 14 who used sweets to kidnap a toddler from a Primark store where her mother was shopping will be sentenced at a crown court.
The girls appeared at a youth court hearing in North Tyneside.
District Judge Roger Elsey said they would need over 12 months of intensive work with social services to reduce their risk of re-offending.
His sentencing powers were insufficient, he said, so he sent their case to Newcastle Crown Court where they will be sentenced in the week beginning August 8.
Each girl had an adult intermediary to explain what was happening as the judge and their lawyers discussed the case.
They previously admitted a charge of kidnap for taking the toddler and were found an hour and a half later, three miles away, after their descriptions were circulated in a major police operation.
Their victim was the second child they intended to grab from the Primark in Newcastle, having tried unsuccessfully to trick another little girl’s mother.
In both cases they picked on black children.
Alarming internet searches about rape were found on a tablet computer.
© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved