Girl’s iPhone catches fire

The “stop, drop and roll” mantra came in handy for a US student when her Apple iPhone 5C caught fire in her pocket at school.

Kennebunk middle school principal Jeff Rodman told The Portland Press Herald that the girl heard a popping sound and smoke started billowing around her.

Boys were herded from the room so the 14-year-old girl could shed her flaming pants. She also did the “stop, drop and roll” move to help put out the fire. She was treated at a hospital.

Her mother had given the Maine eight-grader the iPhone two months earlier.


Lifestyle

Des O'Sullivan takes a look at Bill Wyman's Rolling Stones memorabiliaRolling Stones memorabilia going under the hammer

All ages can suffer from spots across their back but thankfully, there are many things we can do about them, says Jennifer RockThe Skin Nerd: back to basics to treat the pesky plague of ‘bacne’

Roz Crowley tests eight coffees ahead of Fairtrade FortnightEight of the best fairtrade coffees to try

Steel Panther give metal fans the chance to let their hair down and laugh at themselves, and the Cork audience is in party mood.Live review: Steel Panther at Cyprus Avenue

More From The Irish Examiner