Boko Haram fighters killed older boys and men in front of their families before taking women and children into the forest where many died of hunger and disease, freed captives said yesterday after they were brought to a government refugee camp.
The Nigerian army rescued hundreds of women and children last week from the Islamist fighters in northern Nigeria’s Sambisa Forest in a major operation that has turned international attention to the plight of hostages.
After days on the road in pick-up trucks, hundreds were released into the care of authorities at a refugee camp in the eastern town of Yola to be fed and treated for injuries. They have been able to speak to reporters for the first time.
“They didn’t allow us to move an inch,” said one of the freed women, Asabe Umaru. “If you needed the toilet, they followed you. We were kept in one place. We were under bondage.
“We thank God to be alive today. We thank the Nigerian army for saving our lives.”
Two hundred seventy-five women and children, some with heads or limbs in bandages, arrived in the camp late on Saturday.
Nearly 700 kidnap victims were freed from the Islamist group’s forest stronghold since Tuesday, with the latest group of 234 women and children liberated on Friday.
“When we saw the soldiers we raised our hands and shouted for help,” Umaru, a 24 year-old mother of two, told Reuters. “Boko Haram who were guarding us started stoning us so we would follow them to another hideout, but we refused because we were sure the soldiers would rescue us.”
The prisoners suffered constant malnutrition and disease. “Every day we witnessed the death of one of us and waited for our turn,” said Umaru.
Another freed captive, Cecilia Abel, said her husband and first son had been killed in her presence before the militia forced her and her remaining eight children into the forest.
The prisoners do not appear to include any of more than 200 schoolgirls taken from school dormitories in Chibok town a year ago.
© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved