French parliamentarians have voted to extend the nation’s state of emergency for another six months and Paris officials have cancelled some summer events due to security fears following last week’s deadly attack in Nice.
The moves came as officials said all 84 people killed in the Bastille Day atrocity in the southern French city have now been formally identified.
No official list naming the dead has been released, but it is known they include people from France, Germany, the US, Ukraine, Switzerland, Tunisia, Poland, and Russia.
French president François Hollande said 15 of the truck attack victims are still in a life-threatening condition.
The national assembly voted to extend the state of emergency — a security measure in place since the November 13 Paris attacks that left 130 dead and were claimed by the Islamic State group (IS). The senate later approved the extension.
Officials say five unidentified people remain in custody for possible links to the Nice attack.
IS claimed responsibility, but investigators believe attacker Mohamed Lahouaiej Bouhlel was inspired by their calls and not directly commanded by the extremist group.
Authorities are braced for copycat attacks. Police have cancelled events including open-air movie showings and a car-free day on the Champs-Elysees.
© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved