Exploding bubble gum kills student

A UKRAINIAN chemistry student was killed chewing explosive bubble gum that tore off half of his face.

A police spokeswoman said the 25-year-old accidentally dipped the gum into explosives he was using for studies.

She said Vladimir Likhonos mistook the powder for the citric acid he often added to increase the gum’s sour taste.

The spokeswoman said Mr Likhonos, from the town of Konotop in north-east Ukraine, blew off his jaw and most of the lower part of his face.

She said on the table where he had been working police found about 100g of the suspected explosive, a powder that resembles citric acid but has yet to be identified.

“Anybody could have mixed them up,” she said.

Medical workers who arrived on the scene attempted to treat his injuries but were unable to save him.

“Even some of our seasoned officers, who have seen a thing or two, even they were pretty badly shaken up by what they found,” the police spokeswoman said.

A bomb squad was dispatched to determine the nature of the substance, which was deemed too volatile to transport, Biganova said.


Lifestyle

Sorting out Posh Cork for ages!Ask Audrey: 'I'll end up looking like a woman from Kanturk'

Cork architect Loïc Dehaye tells Eve Kelliher how he created his dream home from a blank canvas.'It was like this house was waiting for us': Cork architect talks creating his dream home

Keeping to a routine can be difficult for people in quarantine.Life on the inside: 10 ways to start your day right in lockdown

Who needs a gym when you can look in your kitchen cupboards for equipment instead?Don’t have weights for working out? These household objects will do the trick

More From The Irish Examiner