Cosby pilot scrapped after sex assault claims

NBC has scrapped a Bill Cosby comedy which was under development, the second outlet within a day to put off or abandon a project as another sexual assault allegation against the comic has emerged.

NBC spokeswoman Rebecca Marks said that the project “is no longer under development”, and would make no further comment.

The announcement came after Netflix announced yesterday that it was postponing the November 27 premiere of a new Cosby stand-up comedy special.

Actress Janice Dickinson became the third woman in recent weeks to allege that she was attacked by Cosby when she told Entertainment Tonight that she was sexually assaulted by the comic in 1982.

Cosby’s lawyer said Dickinson’s charges are “false and outlandish”.

The former I’m A Celebrity ... Get Me Out Of Here! contestant claimed Cosby forced her to remove details of the alleged attack from her autobiography years later.

Cosby, 77, has remained silent, and his lawyer, John Schmitt, said on Sunday his client would not dignify “decade-old, discredited” claims of sexual abuse with a response.

The now 59-year-old model and TV host

told Entertainment Tonight she wrote about the alleged assault in her 2002 autobiography, No Lifeguard On Duty: The Accidental Life Of The World’s First Supermodel, but Cosby and his lawyers pressured her and the publisher to remove the details.

Dickinson, said she met Cosby in Lake Tahoe at his urging after he said he would help her with her singing career. They had met earlier when her agent had introduced them, hoping that she could get a job on The Cosby Show.

She told Entertainment Tonight that after dinner, she and Cosby were in her hotel room and he gave her some red wine and a pill she had asked for because she had stomach pains.

“The next morning I woke up and I wasn’t wearing my pyjamas and I remembered before I passed out I had been sexually assaulted by this man,” she said. She said she remembered Cosby dropping the robe he had been wearing and getting on top of her.

She said she never confronted Cosby, but added: “I’m doing this because it’s the right thing to do and this happened to me and this is a true story.”

In her book, Dickinson described stopping at his hotel room door when he invited her in after dinner. She declined, claiming exhaustion.

“After all I’ve done for you, that’s what I get?” Dickinson quoted Cosby as saying. He then “gave me the dirtiest, meanest look in the world, stepped into his suite, and slammed the door in my face”, she wrote.

Cosby, who was never criminally charged in any case, settled a civil suit with another woman in 2006 over an alleged incident two years before.

The spiralling scandal has threatened the comedian’s reputation as America’s TV father at a time when he was launching a comeback. He has at least 35 performances scheduled throughout the US and Canada until May next year. None of the performances has been cancelled.


Lifestyle

Lacemakers in Limerick want to preserve their unique craft for future generations and hope to gain UNESCO heritage status, writes Ellie O’Byrne.Made in Munster: Lace-making a labour of love rather than laborious industry

More From The Irish Examiner