Azerbaijan ceasefire ‘in place’ after 30 die

Azerbaijan’s defence ministry has announced a unilateral ceasefire against the separatist region of Nagorno-Karabakh, a claim that rebel forces there promptly rejected.

Fighting in what was a dormant conflict for two decades flared up over the weekend with a boy and at least 30 troops killed on both sides. Each side blamed the other for Saturday’s escalation, the worst since the end of a full-scale war in 1994.

The defence ministry said, in response to pleas from international organisations, it will be unilaterally “suspending a counter-offensive and response on the territories occupied by Armenia”.

The ministry said that it will not focus on fortifying the territory that Azerbaijan has “liberated”. It did not elaborate.

Nagorno-Karabakh, a region in Azerbaijan, has been under the control of local ethnic Armenian forces and the Armenian military since a war ended in 1994 with no resolution of the region’s status.

The conflict is fuelled by long-simmering tensions between Christian Armenians and mostly Muslim Azeris. Armenian forces also occupy several areas outside Nagorno-Karabakh proper. The sides are separated by a demilitarised buffer zone, but small clashes have broken out frequently.

Officials in the self-proclaimed republic of Nagorno-Karabakh promptly disputed the reports of Azerbaijan’s unilateral ceasefire.

David Babayan, spokesman for the Karabakh president, said that they had not seen any signs that fighting was suspended. The defence ministry of Nagorno-Karabakh yesterday also claimed to have restored control over a strategic area near the frontline.

It said that Nagorno- Karabakh forces went on a counter offensive around the village of Talish after Azerbaijani forces shelled their positions just before dawn. Two Karabakh troops were reported injured.

It also said that Azerbaijan was using rockets, artillery and armour against the region.

Earlier on yesterday, a spokesman for Azerbaijan’s defence ministry, Vagif Dargyakhly, said that Azerbaijani positions came under fire overnight and that civilian areas also were hit.

On Saturday, Armenia said 18 soldiers were killed and Azerbaijan reported 12 dead.

Turkish president Recep Tayyip Erdogan vowed yesterday to back its ally Azerbaijan in the conflict, saying that the flare-up could have been avoided if “fair and decisive steps” had been taken.

“We pray our Azerbaijani brothers will prevail in these clashes with the least casualties,” he said.

The unresolved conflict has been an economic blow to Armenia because Turkey has closed its border with Armenia.

Russian president Vladimir Putin called for an immediate end to fighting along the frontline.

“President Putin calls on the parties in the conflict to observe an immediate ceasefire and exercise restraint in order to prevent further casualties,” Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said.


Lifestyle

Italy is a volatile place as you probably know, not just the passions of its people but is a place of active volcanos and frequent earthquakes. One of the most devastating earthquakes in recent years was the one that struck the Amatrice region in 2016.Wine with Leslie Williams: Some tasty Italian selections

It’s confirmed, being a dog owner is good for you. Esther McCarthy spoke to four celebrities about pride in their pooches.Animal magnetism: Celebrities and their treasured pets

We recently began watching a new sitcom called, ‘The Kids Are Alright’. It follows an American family in the early seventies as they raise eight sons.Lindsay Woods: I’m a dormant individual by nature but my children are adrenaline junkies

Rosscarbery antiques fair offers plenty of variety, writes Des O’Sullivan.See the value of rare notes and diamonds

More From The Irish Examiner