A German man arrested over the disappearance of a four-year-old Bosnian migrant has confessed to killing the boy.
The 32-year-old was turned in by his mother after she recognised him in video released by police, prosecutor Michael von Hagen told reporters.
Police were interviewing the mother at her home in the state of Brandenburg, outside Berlin, when the suspect showed up, confessed and told police that he had the child’s body in the car.
Officers found the body in the trunk in a large tub, mostly covered by cat litter, Mr von Hagen added.
An autopsy is still being performed but von Hagen said it appears that the boy was not “killed today or yesterday”.
He said the suspect is currently being questioned about a possible motive, but so far there is no evidence that the suspect had any xenophobic feelings or had any link to far-right groups.
Mohamed Januzi was last seen on October 1 leaving the central registration centre for migrants in Berlin with an unidentified man.
The following week police published photos of Mohamed and a grainy video of a man leading the boy along a street. The case drew widespread attention in Germany.
On Tuesday, police posted new pictures of the boy and clearer amateur video of the man in hopes of getting new leads.
Authorities announced a reward of €20,000 for information and described the suspect as of European appearance, slim, with dark hair and a beard. It is unclear how Mohamed became separated from his mother and siblings.
There have been long lines and frequent overcrowding at the registration centre this year as Germany struggles to absorb a huge influx of refugees and other migrants.
© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved