If you would like to submit a contribution to our Readers Blog section then follow this link. Be sure to include your full name, address and contact number otherwise your submission will not be considered for publication. We will contact you prior to publication.

Child abuse for which the clergy can’t be blamed

YOU have given massive coverage to child abuse in the Archdiocese of Dublin following the recent publication of the Murphy report.

Might I be allowed to add other areas of child abuse that are important but are being ignored by the media and the various groups that have being throwing rocks exclusively at the institutional Catholic Church in recent times.

The other abuses are:

* Approximately 10,000 Irish women procuring abortions every year. Abortion is murder, but nothing is said about that.

* Children left alone at home while both parents are at work due to Government taxation policies.

* Children “dumped” into crèches from 8am to 6pm because either both parents are working or their single mothers are working.

* Inadequate schools, – ie, Portakabins – in lieu of proper structures and sport and indoor recreational facilities.

* The rise of single parent families where a child is reared by only one of its parents and is destined to a life of poverty.

* Failure of government to eliminate poverty in Ireland

* The building of ghettos around the country that gave rise to delinquency and deviancy because of the lack of proper planning or social and recreational infrastructure.

* Imprisonment of children and young people without providing real opportunities for them.

* Legislation now before the Dáil on “civil unions” that allow homosexuals to marry and adopt children. Is that not child abuse also?

While the abuse by clerics is unacceptable, it is fair to say the percentage of priests who offend is about 1%. Some organisations have managed to blame the other 99% who are very good priests and religious, men of prayer and self-sacrifice.

The Catholic Church is a source of good in the world and is the instrument used by God through its sacraments to save souls. It has done a lot of good in Ireland in the past and will continue to do so in the future. I am very grateful for its existence here.

William A Thomas

Strongfort

Craughwell

Co Galway


Lifestyle

With documentary film ‘Fantastic Fungi’ set to take the world by storm, Joe McNamee looks at the fabulous world of mushroomsDocumentary explores the magic of mushrooms

I lead a very busy life — I’m a mature student in college — and I separated from my partner but the separation was my decision. I hate myself when it beckons as it ultimately makes me fatter, it has the reverse effectDear Louise: I had my bulimia under control. But the demon has returned

This year has been particularly difficult and stressful, and I think that’s an even more important reason to make time for your health.Derval O'Rourke: Resistance is far from futile and necessary

Best-selling author Faith Hogan is keeping the faith during the lockdown, thanks to her Moy Valley haven in Ballina, Co Mayo.Shape I'm in: Keeping the Faith during lockdown

More From The Irish Examiner