Household tax - Majority pay house levy

That more than 1.1m homeowners — 70% of thoseliable — have paid the household charge may not be a complete victory for Government but it is a considerable defeat for those who opposed the charge.

That the tax required individuals to make the payment suggests a reassuring understanding of the challenges facing the country by the great majority of people.

Finance Minister Michael Noonan was criticised for saying that if somebody could afford satellite television services then they could afford the household charge. He was right and that 70% of the population paid up shows that they agree with him. It is time the other 30% faced their responsibilities, reconsidered theirexpectations and priorities, and paid up.

It is just possible that the 70% figure might provoke another hypocritical but entertaining policy change from Fianna Fáil on the issue too.


Lifestyle

Des O'Sullivan takes a look at Bill Wyman's Rolling Stones memorabiliaRolling Stones memorabilia going under the hammer

All ages can suffer from spots across their back but thankfully, there are many things we can do about them, says Jennifer RockThe Skin Nerd: back to basics to treat the pesky plague of ‘bacne’

Roz Crowley tests eight coffees ahead of Fairtrade FortnightEight of the best fairtrade coffees to try

Steel Panther give metal fans the chance to let their hair down and laugh at themselves, and the Cork audience is in party mood.Live review: Steel Panther at Cyprus Avenue

More From The Irish Examiner