THE terribly premature death of Alex Ryan, 18 years of age, is a terrible tragedy, a waste of a young life, but it is a terrible warning too.
Alex, from Old Coach Rd, Millstreet, Co Cork, had been on a life-support machine at Cork University Hospital after he became ill more than a week ago at a house party on Green St in Greenmount, Cork city.
Five others — four men and a woman — who used the same drug in powder form took ill and were also rushed to CUH but were later discharged.
Following the tragedy the HSE issued a warning that the 2C family of psychedelic phenethylamine designer drugs, including 2CP, 2CB, 2CI, and its derivative 25I-NBOMe, are all highly dangerous and should not be used.
The drugs are sold in liquid, powder, and tablet form and are consumed for their stimulant, mood altering, and in some cases aphrodisiac effect.
Every generation faces a thankless obligation when it comes to warning young people about the risks involved in using drugs manufactured in unregulated industrial environments but this death reminds us that it is a duty that cannot be shirked.
© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved