VIDEO: Cork man fears road works will add to flood woes in Castlemartyr home

A man whose home was marooned by flood waters for more than a week has pleaded with engineers to hold off on major road works amid fears it could make the problem worse.

Miley Cotter said he has concerns that the fast-tracking of plans to raise the level of a prone section of the still-flooded N25 Cork to Waterford road outside his home, in some places by up to 1m, will put his family home at further risk of severe flooding.

“I can understand the need to reopen the road but if they go ahead with this in the next few weeks, I might as well lock the door and leave. They’ve told me not to worry; they’ve said they’ll look after me but I have nothing in writing. I need time for my own engineers to examine this proposal,” Mr Cotter said.

After days of unprecedented rain, water from turloughs just outside Castlemartyr in East Cork rose up through the groundrock last week, flooding the surrounding landscape. Mr Cotter’s family home in Clasharince, a mile west of Castlemartyr, was marooned by the sea of water which poured out.

The severe flooding forced the closure of a key stretch of the N25 for over a week and the implementation of traffic detours since last Friday. Despite five days of constant pumping using industrial pumps provided by Philips 66 (Whitegate Refinery), the road remained closed last night. Cork County Council said it hopes to reopen the road over the weekend.

The water has finally receded from Mr Cotter’s home, but is still lapping at his gate. He spent yesterday assessing the extent of the damage. “Everything is destroyed — wardrobes, the kitchen, everything. The water was over a foot and a half deep in here for over a week. As well as the flood water, there was diesel, silt, the contents of septic tanks — it’s disgusting,” he said.

Transport Infrastructure Ireland (TII) confirmed earlier this week that it will fund proposals to raise this vulnerable section of the N25, with the county council given clearance to begin the preliminary works within days.

Barry and Miley Cotter at theirhome in Castlemartyr, Co Cork,days after the initial flooding.Picture: Dan Linehan
Barry and Miley Cotter at their home in Castlemartyr, Co Cork, days after the initial flooding. Picture: Dan Linehan

But Mr Cotter, whose family are staying in the Castlemartyr resort, urged the consideration of other flood alleviation options, such as a retaining wall along nearby fields, and the clearing of silt and vegetation from cave entrances to allow flood waters escape.

Meanwhile, the boil water notice imposed on the Whitegate Regional Water Supply on January 1, and which affected some 10,000 people, was finally lifted yesterday. Irish Water said following advice from the HSE, residents in the area can now resume normal use of the water supply for drinking, food preparation and brushing teeth. “The boil water notice was imposed as a pre-cautionary measure following the recent poor weather conditions but ongoing testing and monitoring of the supply over the last week has shown that it is now safe for public consumption,” a spokeswoman said.

Separately, the R613 Ballea Road in Carrigaline has reopened, and the county council said it will be carrying out an emergency closure of the R618, from Leemount Junction to Inniscarra Bar, between 10am and 3pm on Monday to facilitate the replacement of a collapsed small stone culvert with a 15in pipe. The blockage is causing ongoing flooding problems and damage to private property.

More on this topic

Hundreds still waiting for flood relief fundingHundreds still waiting for flood relief funding

Most in favour of state-back insurance fund to help weather victimsMost in favour of state-back insurance fund to help weather victims

€106m set aside to fix roads damaged in recent floods€106m set aside to fix roads damaged in recent floods

Government announces plan for new group to combat  River Shannon floodingGovernment announces plan for new group to combat River Shannon flooding


Lifestyle

SECOND Captains is one of the long-running success stories in Irish podcasting. Ostensibly a sports show led by Eoin McDevitt, Ken Early, and Ciarán Murphy, the former Off The Ball team from Newstalk launched the podcast in mid-2013. two Monday shows are offered for free, with Tuesday-Friday behind a Patreon subscriber model and dubbed ‘The World Service’. It has more than 11,500 subscribers.Podcast Corner: First-class podcasts from Second Captains

The incredible life of Ireland’s first celebrity chef has been turned into a play, writes Colette SheridanHow Maura Laverty cooked up a storm

Their paths first crossed on the top floor of the library at University College Cork in October 2010 when both were students there so Amy Coleman and Steven Robinson were delighted to retrace their footsteps on their big day.Wedding of the Week: College sweethearts open new chapter

Peter Dowdall reveals why all roads will lead to Tullow in County Carlow on February 1Snowdrop patrol: Why all roads will lead to County Carlow

More From The Irish Examiner