A man in his 50s has died and another man was injured after an accident at a building site in Cork.

The incident occurred during construction at St Colman’s Community College in Midleton in Cork, at around 12.30pm yesterday.

Initial reports were unclear as to what happened at the site. However, it is believed the accident occurred during a concrete pour. Both parties are said to have incurred crush-style injuries.

The men were working on a two-storey extension and sports hall at St Colman’s College when the accident occurred.

Colleagues worked frantically to save both men and the emergency services were on site within minutes. Paramedics, gardaí, and units of Midleton Fire Brigade assisted at the scene.

However, all efforts to revive one of the men failed and he was pronounced dead at the scene.

Last night he was named locally as John Twomey from Highfield House, Whitechurch, near Glanmire in Cork. He was married with three children.

A second man was transferred by ambulance to Cork University Hospital where he is being treated for serious injuries. Separate investigations are to be launched by gardaí and the Health and Safety Authority.

Local priest, Fr Jim Killeen, extended his sympathy to the bereaved following the tragic accident.

“It is a terrible tragedy for any person to be killed in such a way. I would extend my sympathy and the sympathy of the parish to the man’s family and his colleagues.”

Fifty-five people died in work related accidents in 2015 with 11 of those deaths occurring in the construction sector.


I go for a quick run with Jasper the dog (he runs, I walk)Working Life: Margaret Naughton - Jack and Jill Children’s Foundation

We had our first filling last weekend.Learner Dad: As long as other people gave their kids more sugar than we gave ours, we assumed we didn’t have a problem

Experts on bedroom style reveal their top tips to Gabrielle Fagan, so you can create your perfect sleeping space.Let’s go to bed: How to create the cosy winter retreat you’ve always dreamed of

Sink your teeth into our top tips for Halloween dental care.Dental shock: Save your child's teeth from the ‘horrors’ of Halloween

More From The Irish Examiner