Thomas Muller and Sergio Ramos no go for Man United

Manchester United’s transfers aspirations suffered a double blow yesterday as Bayern Munich chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge declared Thomas Muller priceless while Rafael Benitez claimed he is “100%” sure Sergio Ramos will stay at Real Madrid.

United have been linked with a €100 million bid for striker Muller but, while confirming offers have been made for the Germany international, Rummenigge said there is no figure for which Bayern would consider selling.

“There are some players who just don’t have any price tag,” Rummenigge, who confirmed the arrival of Arturo Vidal from Juventus, pending a medical, said.

“We would be out of our minds to sell Muller.”

United, meanwhile, are willing to exchange goalkeeper David de Gea for Ramos, who is reportedly unhappy about the salary he has been offered as part of a new deal at the Bernabeu.

Ramos and Madrid are yet to resolve their differences, but Benitez insists the defender will remain at Real Madrid.

“I have a lot of respect for (United manager) Louis van Gaal, but Sergio will be staying with us,” the Real Madrid manager said.

“He is our player, our captain. I would like to see him (at the club) at the beginning of the season, because he’s a key player for us.”

When asked whether he was absolutely certain the centre-half would stay, Benitez said: “For me, 100%.

“I insist that it is clear for me and the club, Sergio will be here. Football is a curious world, but Ramos will be staying.”

Memphis Depay is one player safely secured and he believes Louis van Gaal will help him realise his dream of becoming an all-time United great .

Van Gaal stole a march on his rivals in May when he completed the signing of Depay from PSV Eindhoven for £25m (€35m).

Paris St Germain offered Depay a fortune, but once he knew he was wanted by Van Gaal, Depay’s mind was made up. “After (United) came in for me and I spoke with the manager it was very clear for me.

“I had already made my decision,” the United forward said.

Depay has plans on becoming one of the best players in United’s long and illustrious history.

“I am very hungry. I want to be a legend at one time in history,” Depay said.

“But the important thing to do for me is to focus on the next game, not to be that far in my head because I have to do my job in every game.

“Maybe one time I can be a legend.”

Depay has not set himself any personal targets this season, but he has one aim for the team — to challenge for the Premier League title.

“I think that is realistic. We are Manchester United,” he said.

“I think we have real qualities. We have to prove that in the games.

“We have to be creative. The defence has to be strong so we win games and we can play for trophies.”

In other transfer news, Wolfsburg say they have not received an approach for Kevin De Bruyne despite strong reports linking the former Chelsea midfielder with Manchester City.

It has been claimed City have opened talks over a deal for the 24-year-old, with suggestions the club could be prepared to pay £60m (€85m) for the player.

But the Bundesliga club, who have previously insisted the player is not for sale, claim there has not been contact.

“Nothing has arrived here. And neither Kevin nor his agent have told me they want to leave,” sporting director Klaus Allofs said.

City have been linked with De Bruyne, who was sold by Chelsea for £18m (€25.4m) last year, throughout the summer but have not commented on the speculation.

Club officials again declined to comment when asked about the latest reports.

Manager Manuel Pellegrini, however, has been speaking about the future of striker Edin Dzeko, who has been linked with Roma.

Dzeko, a £27m (€38m) signing four years ago, did not feature in City’s pre-season outing against the Italian side in Melbourne on Tuesday and Pellegrini has indicated he could leave the club.

Pellegrini said: “Edin didn’t play the last game as it’s not clear if he will continue here or not, but he is still working here with the whole squad.” Bosnia international Dzeko, 29, signed a four-year contract at City last summer but scored only six goals in an injury-hit 2014-15 campaign.

However, it seems likely that Yaya Toure will be staying at City.

Toure’s status was again thrown into doubt after more comments from his erratic agent Dimitri Seluk late last season but the player stated his commitment and yesterday reiterated that position.

The 32-year-old said: “There was too much speculation about me leaving – it’s clear that I have my contract at City and I want to see out my contract.”

Former Barcelona player Toure has two years remaining on his deal at the Etihad Stadium but hopes to play on beyond that.

The Ivory Coast international said: “I always try to be at my best. Sometimes it’s not easy but that’s part of the game.

“Football for me is everything. I want to do my best for the club and to try to help my team-mates. I can play until 40, I know my quality and that’s all.”

Meanwhile, Crystal Palace have completed the signing of QPR goalkeeper Alex McCarthy on a four-year deal while another netminder, Boaz Myhill, has signed a new two-year contract with West Brom.


Lifestyle

Orlagh Kelly owns The Reading Room bookshop on Main Street in Carrick-on-Shannon in Co Leitrim.We sell books: The Reading Room - ‘Small bookshops, curated by people who care, make a difference’

As Stockton’s Wing release a retrospective album, Mike Hanrahan tells Donal O’Keeffe about getting back on the road, and his love of cookingStill a beautiful affair: Mike Hanrahan talks about getting back on the road with Stockton's Wing

An ongoing cull is resulting in a major reduction in the deer population in one of the country’s most visited natural attractions.Donal Hickey: Deer birth patterns evolving

A Courtmacsherry neighbour, Kathy Gannon tells me that when the tide is out, the vast acres of clean, grey mud of the bay reflect the sun in splendour in the clear, sharp air.Damien Enright: ‘How enchanting for humanity that we have birds’

More From The Irish Examiner