Reds closing in on Remy

Loic Remy - Liverpool target

Liverpool are closing in on Loic Remy after activating the QPR striker’s £8.5 million release clause, and the Frenchman could be joined at Anfield by Southampton defender Dejan Lovren.

Remy, who spent last season on loan at Newcastle, scoring 14 Premier League goals, is now expected to discuss personal terms and have a medical with the Reds before completing the move.

The 27-year-old was part of the France squad that reached the quarter-finals of the 2014 Fifa World Cup in Brazil, and made two appearances as a substitute.He moved to Newcastle on loan after QPR’s relegation from the Premier League in 2013.

The arrival of Remy at Anfield is likely to coincide with the departure of Fabio Borini, after Liverpool accepted a £14m offer for the Italian forward from Sunderland, where he spent last season on loan.

Remy joined QPR during their last top-flight spell, making an £8m switch from French club Marseille in January 2013. He scored six league goals for the west London club but could not stop them being relegated that season and went on loan to Newcastle. QPR returned to the Premier League at the first attempt by beating Derby in the Championship play-off final in May but are resigned to Remy’s departure.

Meanwhile, reports in Croatia suggest a deal to take Lovren to Anfield is now imminent. It is thought the 25-year-old will now sign a four-deal at Anfield after the Reds agreed to fork more than £16m for the ex-Lyon star.

Lovren has been agitating for a move after seeing some of the Saints top talent follow Mauricio Pochettino out the exit door at St Mary’s.

In other transfer news, AC Milan chief executive Adriano Galliani denied receiving any bid from Arsenal this summer for Italy striker Mario Balotelli. Balotelli is on holiday following the World Cup, but is expected to link up with his club for their US tour early next week.

Reports yesterday suggested Arsenal had agreed a £15.8m fee with Milan for the 23-year-old but Galliani stated there had been no bid.

“We have not received any offer (for Balotelli) and at this time, there is nothing from Arsenal,” said the Milan chief.

Elsewhere, Levante coach Jose Luis Mendilibar is in the dark regarding the future of keeper Keylor Navas — but insists the Costa Rica international is still his player as things stand. Navas has been heavily linked with a €10m move to Real Madrid among other teams following his impressive exploits at the World Cup.

Mendilibar, who took over at Levante this summer, does not have any more insight to give on the situation either.

He said: “Nobody has told me anything about Keylor. He’s still ours. I don’t know him personally, but they tell me he’s a great professional. The teams that you’re hearing about, Bayern, Madrid... they are the best in the world. It’s close to the date for his return and I only hope things are resolved before then.”


Lifestyle

Keep chomping on those carrots so your eyes will be in perfect working order for that prolonged annual gaze through the keyhole as Home of the Year returns for a sixth series next week.Home of the Year offers a good excuse for a bit of good-natured interiors voyeurism

They differ from the more prevalent oranges we eat because their flesh, and often the skin, is crimson or deep red in colour.Michelle Darmody: The best time of year to buy blood oranges

The annual Members Exhibition now underway at the Lavit Gallery in Cork features 92 works from 72 artists.The exhibition runs until March 7.Under the hammer: Your guide to upcoming auctions

There’s an oriental theme at the James Adam ‘At Home’ auction in Dublin, says Des O’SullivanAuctions: Sale full of eastern promise

More From The Irish Examiner