Sevco Scotland, the group behind Newco Rangers will continue attempts to assume Rangers’ membership of the Scottish Football Association at home and abroad following talks yesterday.
Three members of Sevco — Malcolm Murray, Imran Ahmed and Brian Stockbridge — met SFA officials yesterday while chief executive Charles Green set off for meetings with UEFA in a bid to ease the burden of demands to repay about £3million (€3.8 million) of football debts.
Sevco are looking to persuade the SFA to shelve a transfer ban but they were also asked to provide more details on the identity and propriety of their investors and directors.
The SFA received an information pack from Sevco on June 29, seven days after the company submitted a letter of application to take the place of Rangers after buying the stricken club’s assets for £5.5m. But they are still looking for answers.
The SFA previously banned Rangers owner Craig Whyte from Scottish football for life after he was ruled unfit to hold an official role in the game.
Now, with Dorin Goian, Carlos Bocanegra and Maurice Edu set to follow the likes of Steven Naismith and Steven Davis out of Ibrox after the club was consigned to the Third Division, Green has argued that a transfer embargo is not feasible given manager Ally McCoist had previously lost a full team of players.
And the former Sheffield United chief executive will seek a deal over repayment of transfer fees and other debts owed to clubs by the soon-to-be-liquidated Rangers.
Green said: “Part of the conditions for the newco to meet to satisfy SFA membership is that there are certain old club debts to European clubs.
“It is not inconsiderable, it is about £3m that has been accumulated as part of the historical baggage.
“We don’t want them to be waived, we don’t expect them to be waived and part of me says why should a club waive its debts when it’s done its thing honourably.
“Equally I think I would like the clubs and UEFA to recognise these are not my debts, this is a gesture and for them to work with us where we can come to some amicably agreeable settlement and move forward.”
Meanwhile Former Celtic captain Tom Boyd has blamed any damage to the reputation of Scottish football solely on Rangers following their recent financial woes and subsequent drop to the Third Division.
Newco Rangers had their application to the SPL rejected before being admitted into the bottom tier.
Boyd believes any lasting harm caused to the game should be placed firmly on Rangers’ shoulders.
“If it has been damaged, it has been damaged by one club and what has gone on with them and it is the consequence of that,” he said.
“It is something that has happened and we need to get on with it — Rangers are no longer in the SPL and the teams will need to adjust accordingly and move on and try and promote the game in Scotland, and hopefully we’ll see a better product.”
The ex-Scotland international has also urged Celtic’s fanbase to remain firmly behind the team, with drops in attendances expected due to the lack of Old Firm matches. The defending SPL champions are hoping to sell more season tickets before the defence of their title begins and Boyd urged fans to keep attending Celtic Park.
He said: “They are supporting Celtic, not Rangers.”
© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved