Rangers administrators and players close to deal

Hopes were rising last night that a deal could be struck between Rangers players and administrators to avoid significant job losses at the club.

Talks continued throughout the day at Murray Park after both parties reconvened to discuss proposals from the players over helping the club make savings without job losses.

However, some players are expected to depart whatever the final outcome, as Swedish midfielder Mervan Celik is believed to have agreed to leave. Scotland U21 international Gregg Wylde has also offered to leave the club.

Departures could be kept to a minimum though as both parties are understood to be close to an agreement.

Wylde arrived at Rangers’ Murray Park training ground yesterday afternoon after it emerged that he had offered to leave.

The 20-year-old, who has made 47 appearances for the club, said: “I wanted to help out the club by keeping people in a job.

“I was so tired I couldn’t really sleep at night. It was getting to me so I thought I would leave.”

Celik only arrived at the club in January under freedom of contract from Swedish side GAIS, although they were due a transfer fee. The midfielder has struggled to make an impression.

Players had failed to come to a consensual agreement with administrators Duff and Phelps on Monday, a day the administrators’ financial team had previously set as a deadline before they took matters out of the squad‘s hands.

But the administrators said they would consider a fresh proposal from players overnight and negotiations have continued.

Top earners at the club are believed to be considering wage cuts of 75% for a period of time, with cuts of 25-50% for those lower down the wage structure.

Goalkeeper Allan McGregor is among the highest paid players, having signed a six-year deal last summer, and he last night denied, through his solicitor, that he had refused to take a cut.

Margaret Gribbon of Bridge Litigation said: “Contrary to some media reports Allan has not refused to accept a salary reduction. These allegations are false and Allan has instructed me to make clear if these allegations are reported as fact he will have no option but to resort to legal action.

“Allan along with many of his fellow players is committed to making personal salary sacrifices to ensure the club survives.

“Allan has and will continue to extend his full cooperation with the administrators at this very difficult and challenging time for the club.”


Lifestyle

These green pancakes are topped with avocado, tomato and cottage cheese.How to make Jamie Oliver’s super spinach pancakes

Who else can pull off a look described as a ‘hip-hop Michelin woman’?As her new EP drops, this is why there will never be a style icon quite like Missy Elliott

The classic white-tipped look is once again in favour, and celebs are loving it.The French manicure is back – 5 modern ways to try the trend

The A-Listers hiding in plain sight: As Rihanna is spotted at the cricket, who are the celebs who have been living under our noses in Ireland? Ed Power reports.Celebs in plain sight: The A-Listers living under our noses in Ireland

More From The Irish Examiner