FERNANDO TORRES will put talks with new Liverpool manager Roy Hodgson about his future on hold until after the World Cup.
Torres, who has been strongly linked with a move away from Anfield to Barcelona this summer, has welcomed the appointment of former Fulham boss Hodgson as Rafael Benitez’s successor.
But the striker is concentrating on Spain’s bid to win the World Cup before speaking with Hodgson.
Torres said: “I was happy he (Hodgson) got the job. I haven’t had a chat with him yet but I will talk with him soon and we will see his ideas about the future.
“For now, my future is here. South Africa and the World Cup is too important to think about things after that. I have a very important week still here and after that I will have time to talk with him and talk about my future.”
Torres believes Hodgson can revive Liverpool after a poor season in which they finished seventh in the Barclays Premier League and failed to qualify for the Champions League.
“He did really well at Fulham and I am sure he can do better for Liverpool,” continued Torres.
“He is a very good manager. He showed that in the past and in the last season with Fulham. Hopefully he will be the right man to give Liverpool the opportunity to be strong again.”
Meanwhile Arsenal captain Cesc Fabregas has his heart set on playing for Barcelona next season, according to his Spain team-mate Gerard Pique.
The 23-year-old, who came through the Barca youth system with Pique, has been a peripheral figure in Spain’s World Cup campaign.
But his down time has been spent, according to former Manchester United defender Pique, with those players he hopes will be his team-mates at the Nou Camp next term.
“I have known that Cesc wanted to join Barcelona for many years – but now it is more than about wanting to do it,” Barca defender Pique said.
“Now it is something he feels he must do. He is keeping his mind focused on Spain but his heart is in Barcelona. I think already in his heart he is wearing a Barcelona shirt next season.”
Elsewhere Maicon could be a step closer to leaving Inter Milan after his agent launched a scathing attack on the Nerazzurri, accusing them of lacking respect for the Brazil defender.
The right-back has been linked with a move away from Inter since Jose Mourinho moved to Real Madrid and speculation is rife he is set to follow his former coach to the Bernabeu.
Inter president Massimo Moratti admitted Maicon might very well not be at the San Siro next season, prompting a furious outburst from the 28-year-old’s agent, Antonio Caliendo. “Sometimes I ask myself if Inter even have directors. They aren’t showing him any respect,” said Caliendo.
“It’s amazing they don’t even have five minutes for a player like Maicon and these are things we need to consider. No importance is given to the player at all. Inter aren’t showing him any respect.”
Meanwhile midfielder Joe Cole believes his best days are ahead of him as he starts to consider his club future, and admits finding a manager who “loves” him will be key to his decision.
Cole became a free agent on July 1 after his Chelsea contract expired, with a host of clubs now seemingly vying for his signature.
Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp revealed earlier this week that he had spoken to the player, with Arsenal among those also reportedly interested.
Quoted in several Sunday newspapers, the 28-year-old said: “I’m thinking about my own future now. I want to play in a more central position, like I did at West Ham.
“I feel I’ve got a lot more still to offer and my best days are ahead of me.
“I want the right kind of manager – a manager who loves me, who will put me in the team.
“At Chelsea there were players who could have two or three dreadful games before they were left out. I only had to have a dreadful 20 minutes and I was out.”
© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved