Sting in the tail for Everton as Bees seal shock win

EVERTON crashed out of the Carling Cup at the third round stage last night, beaten 4-3 in a penalty shoot-out by League One strugglers Brentford after a 1-1 draw. Jermaine Beckford and Phil Jagielka failed from 12 yards for David Moyes’ men.

Donegal-born full-back Seamus Coleman had earlier fired Everton into a sixth-minute lead but the Bees drew level with a header from Gary Alexander in the 41st minute.

Elsewhere, Irish striker Kevin Doyle spared Wolves’ blushes with an extra-time double to secure a 4-2 win over League One side Notts County at Molineux.

Former West Brom striker Lee Hughes opened the scoring for Notts County.

Nenad Milijas equalised from the spot after County defender Liam Chilvers was sent off for bringing down Christophe Berra. Substitutes Steven Fletcher and Doyle settled the tie in the first period of extra-time. Kevin Smith scored a late consolation before Doyle grabbed his second.

A late Liam Lawrence goal failed to prevent 10-man Portsmouth’s exit from the competition at the hands of City whose 2-1 victory was ensured by first-half goals from Michael Morrison and Lloyd Dyer. Lawrence’s strike set up a tense finale at Fratton Park following Richard Hughes’ straight red card but Leicester held on.

Owen Coyle endured a miserable return to Burnley as Wade Elliott’s first-half goal sent his Bolton charges crashing out, losing 1-0.

Elsewhere Tamas Priskin and Gareth McAuley fired Ipswich through as Millwall’s home jitters struck again.

The Lions were unbeaten in 22 games at The Den until Saturday’s shock 6-1 mauling by Watford.

And a second home defeat was hot on its heels as Roy Keane’s Ipswich condemned them to back-to-back losses on their own turf for the first time in 18 months with a 2-1 victory.

Nigeria international Victor Obinna dashed Sunderland’s Carling Cup dreams as West Ham tasted victory against Barclays Premier League opposition for the first time this season.

The 23-year-old struck 14 minutes after the break to send the Hammers into the fourth round courtesy of a deserved win at the Stadium of Light.

They took the lead with 35 minutes gone when Frederic Piquionne rounded Simon Mignolet to fire home.

Headers from Danny Higginbotham and Kenwyne Jones secured Stoke victory over Fulham at the Britannia Stadium and a place in the Carling Cup fourth round. Higginbotham gave the Potters the lead in the 23rd minute, arriving at the far post to convert Matthew Etherington’s corner.

Jones wrapped up the win with his third goal in three games, rising to meet Rory Delap’s throw-in with 11 minutes remaining.

Birmingham breezed into the fourth round as three quickfire goals from Alexander Hleb, Nikola Zigic and Craig Gardner all but saw off the threat of MK Dons before half-time. The visitors bagged a late consolation through substitute Aaron Wilbraham.

Championship side Swansea earned a place in the fourth round after a hat-trick from former Chelsea winger Scott Sinclair accounted for League One pacesetters Peterborough, Craig Mackail-Smith on the mark for the home side in a 3-1 defeat.


Kate Tempest’s Vicar Street show began with the mother of all selfie moments. The 33 year-old poet and rapper disapproves of mid-concert photography and instructed the audience to get their snap-happy impulses out of the way at the outset. What was to follow would, she promised, be intense. We should give ourselves to the here and now and leave our phones in our pockets.Kate Tempest dives deep and dark in Dublin gig

Des O'Sullivan examines the lots up for auction in Bray.A Week in Antiques: Dirty tricks and past political campaigns

All your food news.The Menu: Food news with Joe McNamee

More From The Irish Examiner