Terry Connor is not convinced someone else would have done a better job than he has so far in his time in charge at Wolves.
Connor was promoted from assistant manager last month to take over as boss after the sacking of Mick McCarthy.
The likes of Steve Bruce, Alan Curbishley and Reading’s Brian McDermott were linked with the post before it was confirmed that Connor would hold it for the rest of the reason.
Since then, Wanderers have taken just one point from three Premier League games, Connor overseeing a 2-2 draw at Newcastle, a thumping 5-0 defeat at Fulham and Saturday’s 2-0 loss to fellow strugglers Blackburn at Molineux.
That latest result left Wolves — who have won only once in 14 league matches — 19th in the table and fans vented their anger at the club’s board, with banners being unfurled in the stands, boos ringing out at the final whistle and a section of supporters protesting before and after the game outside the stadium, prompting chairman and owner Steve Morgan to eventually go and speak to those involved.
In his programme notes for the match, chief executive Jez Moxey referred to the search for McCarthy’s successor, stressing: “To repeat what I said at the time, we only offered the job to one candidate prior to appointing Terry.”
And after the game, Connor defended his record, saying: “This is what happens if you are in a tough league like the Premier League.
“Every game is very difficult, hard whether you are at home or away.
“It is difficult to gather those points, so I’m not sure if we had got a new manager whether he would have had more success than I have had.”
Asked if he thought the supporters would stick with him, Connor said: “You will have to ask the fans that.
“I’m sure everyone knows that I’m here 24/7, working as hard as I can for the good of the football club.
“That is all I can do, and I will leave the judgments to other people.
“I think it is a great opportunity for me, I really do. I knew how difficult it would be, but we have all stuck together.”
Junior Hoilett put Blackburn in front in the 43rd minute with a well-executed shot after Wolves’ David Davis had inadvertently flicked a Rovers throw-in to him, and the Canadian forward then fired in a second from 25 yards in the 69th minute.
Hoilett, also 21, was a clear stand-out performer for Blackburn, who moved out of the relegation zone, up to 16th.
He is out of contract in the summer and a reported target for some big clubs, but Rovers boss Steve Kean remains optimistic he will be able to keep hold of the player.
Kean said: “For the moment, we are just letting him play his football and hopefully we can get him signed after making sure we are in this division.”
© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved