Irish Rover Reid suffers injury again

LUCKLESS Steven Reid suffered another injury setback last night.

The Republic of Ireland midfielder made his first appearance in 11 months in Blackburn Rovers’ 3-1 Carling Cup second-round win against Gillingham at the KRBS Priestfield Stadium but limped off on the stroke of half-time.

The news of Reid’s setback will come as a blow to Ireland manager Giovanni Trapattoni as Ireland’s World Cup campaign nears its conclusion.

And while it is too early to say how serious Reid’s injury is his chances of being fit to play in Ireland’s next World Cup match against Cyprus on September 5 look extremely remote.

Before last night the 28-year-old had not kicked a ball in anger since September 2008 and missed the last eight Ireland games due to a serious knee injury.

Reid’s injury was the only sour note in a good night for Rovers who advanced comfortably thanks to goals from David Dunn, David Hoilett and Morten Gamst Pedersen.

Simeon Jackson got Gillingham’s consolation.

Elsewhere in the Carling Cup last night West Ham secured an extra time win over Millwall to reach the Carling Cup third round but the east London derby was marred by crowd trouble which left one fan with stab wounds.

On the field Millwall striker Neil Harris volleyed the opening goal from six yards after meeting Danny Gabbidon’s weak header.

West Ham equalised with three minutes to play when Junior Stanislas swept Julian Faubert’s cross home.

Stanislas scored a penalty in extra time after a Millwall hand ball before Zavon Hines fired home the third.

The game was played out amid trouble between fans inside and outside of Upton Park which overshadowed an entertaining encounter.

There was more woe for Ipswich manager Roy Keane as the Tractor Boys crashed out of the Carling Cup after a 2-1 defeat to Darren Ferguson’s Peterborough.

Tamas Priskin gave Ipswich, who have picked up a single point from their opening four Championship games, an early lead before Lee Frecklington equalised and George Boyd grabbed the winner after 63 minutes.

High-flying Burnley survived a major scare before beating Hartlepool 2-1.

Adam Boyd gave Hartlepool the lead which they held until seven minutes from the end when Steven Fletcher equalised to force extra time.

Richard Eckersley saw red for the Clarets in extra time but Fletcher spared their blushes by hitting the winner after 108 minutes.

Wolves also survived a scare against Swindon before advancing on penalties 6-5 after the game had finished scoreless.

Birmingham survived a scare to come from behind against League One side Southampton.

Adam Lallana opened the scoring for the Saints but Lee Bowyer equalised 13 minutes from the end before Lee Carsley hit the winner three minutes later.

Mark Davies hit the winner as Bolton beat Tranmere 1-0.

Hull beat Southend 3-1 thanks to goals from Tom Cairney, Jozy Altidore and Geovanni. Franck Moussa scored for Southend.

Portsmouth put their Premier League struggles behind them with a resounding 4-1 defeat of League Two Hereford to reach the third round.

Frederic Piquionne, John Utaka, Niko Kranjcar and Richard Hughes were on the mark for Pompey with Tristan Plummer getting Hereford’s consolation.

Elsewhere Port Vale beat Sheffield Wednesday 2-0, Nottingham Forest defeated Middlesbrough 2-1, Preston beat Leicester by the same scoreline, QPR saw off Accrington 2-1.

Barnsley won 2-1 at Reading while Scunthorpe needed extra time to beat Swansea 2-1 while Leeds beat Watford 2-1.


New series explores Ireland's remote townlands and its people

James McAvoy is a Glass act in latest film

Turning 30: Regrets, advice and reflection from those who've hit the milestone

Mild winter inspires new season’s looks

More From The Irish Examiner