Graham breaks goal drought but lucky Swans hold Tigers

Swansea 1 Hull City 1

Graham breaks goal drought but lucky Swans hold Tigers

Graham had not found the net since leaving the Liberty Stadium earlier this year, but he returned to haunt his former club with a fine far-post finish in just the eighth minute.

The Tigers kept their hosts at bay with ease until the hour mark when Jonjo Shelvey’s driven ball hit Flores and flew in to give the Spaniard his first Premier League goal, although replays suggested the ball had come off his arm on the way into the net.

Hull could still have won it had referee Martin Atkinson not missed a blatant handball by Swansea defender Dwight Tiendalli as he blocked an Alex Bruce header.

Hull boss Steve Bruce was not too downhearted, however: “In the Premier League, a newly-promoted side getting a point away from home, you’re always pleased with that,” he said.

Swans boss Michael Laudrup said: “First half, we played much too slow, no pace on the ball. Second half, we did much better.”

Much had been made of Graham’s return to Swansea and a goal drought stretching back to January 9. It was almost inevitable he would end it against his former club, and so it proved.

A poor Ashley Williams pass was picked off by Ahmed Elmohamaday and his inviting deep cross was converted at the back post to give Graham his first top-flight goal in 1,626 minutes.

Swansea had no response as they toiled through the rest of the first half but they found a leveller 15 minutes into the second half.

A short corner routine gave Shelvey the room to drill the ball towards the six-yard box, where it struck Flores to beat Allan McGregor.

Atkinson then missed Tiendalli almost catching Bruce’s header as the sides took away a point apiece.

lSky Bet League Two Oxford survived a scare in their FA Cup second-round tie with Wrexham, having trailed at half-time before eventually winning 2-1 to set up a clash with Charlton.

Joe Clarke put Wrexham ahead after 29 minutes at the Racecourse Ground but Dave Kitson provided a great assist for James Constable, who hit back with an equaliser for the League Two leaders nine minutes into the second half. Ryan Williams heading home their second moments later from close range. Oxford take on Championship strugglers Charlton next at The Valley over the weekend commencing January 3.

SWANSEA: Tremmel, Tiendalli, Chico, Williams, Ben Davies, de Guzman (Pozuelo 56), Canas, Dyer, Shelvey, Hernandez (Routledge 67), Michu.

HULL: McGregor, Chester, Bruce, Davies, Elmohamady, Livermore, Huddlestone, Meyler, Figueroa, Sagbo, Graham (Koren 64).

Referee: Martin Atkinson.

More in this section


Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up

Select your favourite newsletters and get the best of Irish Examiner delivered to your inbox