Ferdinand to retire at end of season

Former England captain and QPR defender Rio Ferdinand plans to retire from football at the end of the season.

The 35-year-old told Jonathan Ross in an interview to be broadcast this evening said that this season with Rangers will likely be his last.

“I probably think the end of this season,” Ferdinand told The Jonathan Ross Show when asked about retirement.

“I’m not fearful of retirement, I’m looking forward to it, I can see some good stuff hopefully happening ahead.

“You get to a time where you start understanding your body and the strains playing football (is) putting your body through, going out and training every day.”

The former West Ham, Leeds and Manchester United centre-back, who has worked as a football pundit, expects to stay involved in football in some capacity and has begun his coaching badges.

“I’ve done it for so many years, it’s what I love,” he added.

“I will stay in football I’m sure in some capacity. I’ve signed to BT and stuff and I’ve done stuff with the BBC at the World Cup which I really enjoyed and it’s something I’m sure I will take up and do a bit more (of).

“I’m doing my (coaching) badges as well and there are other bits and pieces outside of football.”

Ferdinand was an unused substitute in last weekend’s loss to Liverpool and could be confined to the bench again for Monday’s match at home to Aston Villa.

Adel Taarabt could be offered the opportunity to prove himself to Harry Redknapp after the pair’s public disagreement this week when the QPR boss accused the Morocco playmaker of being overweight.

Defender Nedum Onuoha hopes to shake off a hamstring problem sustained against Liverpool, midfielders Joey Barton and Jordon Mutch could be fit again after recent hamstring trouble, but Alejandro Faurlin (knee) is a long-term injury absentee.

Meanwhile, manager Paul Lambert has announced Aston Villa have an option to sign Tom Cleverley in January.

The midfielder is on loan from Manchester United and Lambert has been impressed with him since his summer arrival.

Villa can make the deal permanent in January but Lambert will wait until the transfer window opens before making any decision.

Lambert said: “We have an option on Tom. We have not gone into great detail but he has played well. He was the one lad who was busy on Saturday (at Everton), he has so much to offer.

“He’s a good guy, a good professional and does everything high tempo even when he trains.

“Whatever happens in January will happen, the option is there but we still have a couple of months to go.

“I just want him to play well here and enjoy it and that’s what he is doing which is half the battle.

“It’s not been an easy start playing at a new club but come January we will see.”

Lambert takes Villa to QPR on Monday after their 3-0 defeat at Everton last week and hopes Philippe Senderos will be fit after a thigh problem.

He added: “They’ve had a good week. Everton deserved it Saturday and we need to make sure it does not happen again.”


Lifestyle

It’s 25 years since Toy Story first stunned us with its brilliance. Esther McCarthy looks back onJohn Lasseter’s masterpiece and why it’s regarded as a milestone of modern cinemaInfinity and beyond: How Toy Story altered movie history

All the wines recommended this week are available for delivery.Wine with Leslie Williams: Looking for a wine delivery service? Here are a few ...

Cystic Fibrosis is a difficult condition to manage at the best of times. Helen O’Callaghan talks to Jade Needham about managing it in lockdownCoping with Cystic Fibrosis during a crisis

Consumer advice with  Gráinne McGuinnessMaking Cents: Switching makes sense for all your household bills

More From The Irish Examiner