Gatland commits to Wales until the next World Cup

WALES coach Warren Gatland has committed himself to the job until the end of the 2011 World Cup despite his feelings on the club-versus-country row over the release of players.

The New Zealander suggested last week he had been forced to consider his position after struggling to get the four regions to make their international players available for a three-day Wales camp.

It caused a political storm within Welsh rugby which came to a head last week when the Welsh Rugby Union won a High Court decision to get the players released by the regions. That allowed Gatland to have three-day camp this week with most of his 32-man squad.

The only three players who have been missing are English-based players Dwayne Peel and Eifion Roberts, both of Sales Sharks, and Gloucester scrum-half Gareth Cooper.

Asked about being disillusioned about his job, Gatland said: “I said I was frustrated rather than disillusioned.

“But I would like to say I am completely committed to Welsh rugby and I am not going anywhere.

“I have enjoyed the job over the last 12 months. You get your ups and downs but I am really excited about the autumn series.”

WRU chief executive Roger Lewis stressed he was always confident Gatland would commit to Wales.

“I never had any doubt at all about Warren’s commitment to Welsh rugby whatsoever,” Lewis said.

“I speak of him as a friend as well as a colleague and Warren is totally committed to Wales and to take us through to the next World Cup in 2011.”

Meanwhile, Wales look certain to head into their opening encounter of their four-match autumn series against world champions South Africa at the Millennium Stadium on Saturday week without Scarlets wing Mark Jones.

Jones damaged his knee while attempting to score late on in last Friday’s EDF Energy Cup win over Bristol.

If Jones is ruled out, that could allow 19-year-old Cardiff Blues wing Leigh Halfpenny to make his debut.

Gatland admitted that he knows his starting line-up for the South Africa clash, and he has revealed he wants to involve his entire squad in the first two matches.

Wales play Canada on November 14 before taking on New Zealand (November 22) and Australia (November 29).


Lifestyle

Fearless is a slick new documentary airing next Monday on RTÉ 1 which follows Cork native and editor-in-chief of US Glamour, Samantha Barry, in the run up to the 29th Glamour Women of the Year Awards. Ruth O’Connor speaks to Barry about her editorship of one of Condé Nast's most important media outlets.The fearless Samantha Barry: From Ballincollig in Cork to editor of Glamour

More From The Irish Examiner