Bundee Aki says he overreacted after Pat Lam’s decision to step down

Bundee Aki has admitted he over-reacted to Pat Lam’s shock decision to step down as Connacht coach at the end of the season.

Aki tweeted ‘feeling pissed’ after Lam called the squad together earlier this month and announced he was leaving the Sportsground a year early to take up a deal with Bristol.

Aki, in big demand after being named PRO12 player of the season in Connacht’s march to glory, had weeks earlier signed a new three-year contract extension.

Lam had brought Aki to Connacht from New Zealand but now the 26-year old says he has come to terms with the decision and is looking forward to his future at the Sportsground.

“Certainly I think I over-reacted. Pat has had a big influence on all of the boys, and especially myself, he has really improved my game.

“You have got to move on in rugby. That’s part of why people come and go and you have to enjoy every partnership you have and every professional you play with,” said Aki.

Meanwhile, the decision by a concussion review group not to sanction Northampton over their handling of George North’s latest head injury episode has been strongly criticised.

North appeared to have lost consciousness following an aerial collision with Leicester’s Adam Thompstone in an Aviva Premiership match on December 3, yet he passed a head injury assessment (HIA) and returned to the field of play.

The Concussion Management Review Group (CMRG) set up to investigate the incident concluded that while there was “sufficient evidence” to end North’s involvement the match, the club did not “intentionally ignore the player’s best interests”.

Northampton and/or individual medical staff could have been charged with misconduct by the Rugby Football Union, but the CMRG opted against referring the matter for sanction and instead outlined nine recommendations.

Brain injury charity Headway has expressed its alarm at the outcome of the review, while a sports injury lawyer described the failure to take disciplinary action as a “backwards step”.

“We are concerned with these findings,” Headway chief executive Peter McCabe said. “Serious questions have to be asked regarding the protocols: are they fit for purpose and are they being properly enforced?

“This incident sends out a confusing message around the issue of concussion, particularly for children who follow the example of famous players and favourite clubs.”

More on this topic

Amid injury woe, O’Brien looks to sister for inspirationAmid injury woe, O’Brien looks to sister for inspiration

Friend: Connacht can’t afford an ‘arm wrestle’Friend: Connacht can’t afford an ‘arm wrestle’

Friend hoping Aki commits to ConnachtFriend hoping Aki commits to Connacht

Farrell earns first start of the season as Connacht travel to OspreysFarrell earns first start of the season as Connacht travel to Ospreys


Lifestyle

Kate Tempest’s Vicar Street show began with the mother of all selfie moments. The 33 year-old poet and rapper disapproves of mid-concert photography and instructed the audience to get their snap-happy impulses out of the way at the outset. What was to follow would, she promised, be intense. We should give ourselves to the here and now and leave our phones in our pockets.Kate Tempest dives deep and dark in Dublin gig

Des O'Sullivan examines the lots up for auction in Bray.A Week in Antiques: Dirty tricks and past political campaigns

Following South Africa’s deserved Rugby World Cup victory I felt it was about time that I featured some of their wines.Wine with Leslie Williams

All your food news.The Menu: Food news with Joe McNamee

More From The Irish Examiner