Wales prop Adam Jones has said "I feel like I’m more than just injury cover" after announcing his retirement from international rugby.
Jones, 33, won 95 Wales caps and played in five Tests for the British and Irish Lions. He is also among a group of just six Wales players to have featured in three Grand Slam-winning teams.
The Cardiff Blues prop, though, was left out of Wales coach Warren Gatland’s 34-man RBS 6 Nations training squad, which followed his omission from the autumn international series earlier this season. Gatland opted for current number one Samson Lee, plus Aaron Jarvis and Scott Andrews as his tighthead prop options in the Six Nations, which kicks off when Wales host England on Friday week.
In a statement released by his agents Big Red Management, Jones said: “This year, I promised myself I would work as hard as possible and do everything within my power to get back into the Wales squad. Despite putting my all into this, it has become apparent that it wasn’t enough. I feel like I am more than just injury cover, and have therefore decided to call it a day.
“It has been a tough week for me, but the support from the Welsh fans has been overwhelming, just as it has been ever since my first cap.”
Gatland has not yet responded to Jones’ decision, but it is clear the veteran tighthead has been left unimpressed by missing out on the Six Nations squad.
Before the squad was announced last Tuesday, Jones had been strongly backed to earn a recall, especially when Scarlets forward Rhodri Jones was ruled out of the entire Six Nations tournament due to a shoulder injury.
© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved