William Buick has lodged an appeal against the 30-day suspension he was given by the Chantilly stewards after an incident in the Prix de Diane at Chantilly last weekend.
Buick was on board Highlands Queen in the French Oaks and was adjudged to have caused the fall of Pierre-Charles Boudet’s mount Armande.
He was subsequently disqualified from his eighth-placed finish and placed last.
During the inquiry the stewards banned Buick the automatic 15 days for causing the fall. However, Godolphin’s jockey was handed an extra 15 days for being offensive to the officials.
Samuel Fargeat, secretary of the stewards at France Galop, said: “So far he (Buick) has appealed against the decision of the stewards.
“He has appealed both suspensions and the appeal body will sit at some time in the next week.”
Buick’s ban is due to begin on July 3.
If he is unsuccessful in his appeal he will miss meetings such as the Irish Oaks and King George VI And Queen Elizabeth Stakes at Ascot.
The Michael Stoute-trained five-year-old, winner of the Huxley Stakes at Chester on his sole start this season, will bypass the Group One prize on July 2 with the same injury that forced him to miss an outing at Royal Ascot.
Bruce Raymond, racing manager to owner Saeed Suhail, said: “Cannock Chase has got a small injury and will be out for a little while.
“He will definitely miss the Eclipse. Hopefully he will be back later in the year.”
Earlier this month the son of Lemon Drop Kid was stripped of his win in the Godolphin Stakes at Newmarket last September following a British Horseracing Authority hearing, after being found to have a prohibited substance in his system.
He had been a best-priced 16-1 chance for the Eclipse.
Runner-up Quest For More (Roger Charlton), Trip To Paris (Ed Dunlop), Pallasator (Sir Mark Prescott), Vive Ma Fille (Mark Johnston) and Sheikhzayedroad (David Simcock) are all in line to reopoose Bell’s five-year-old.
Big Orange went on to run a fine race in fifth in the Melbourne Cup, and Bell has purposely aimed for Goodwood, opting to skip the Gold Cup at Royal Ascot.
The Newmarket trainer said: “We swerved going to the Gold Cup at Royal Ascot with him as the soft ground would not have been suitable for him there.
“All being well he will go next for a Listed race at Sandown Park on Eclipse day (Coral Marathon). We wouldn’t run him in both the Princess of Wales’s Stakes (at Newmarket) and the Goodwood Cup again this year. The only way I would really consider Newmarket was if he didn’t go to Sandown for some reason. Big Orange has been in great form at home. It is just that the ground has not been suitable for him so far this season as he is a better horse on good ground. We will see how his summer campaign goes first, but it is possible that he could go to Australia again later this year.”
The last horse to win back-to-back renewals of the Goodwood Cup was Double Trigger in 1997 and 1998. Sheikhzayedroad ran an excellent race to be third in the Gold Cup, while Trip To Paris enjoyed his finest hour when winning the Gold Cup in 2015. Fourth in the Melbourne Cup, Trip To Paris has not run since the Japan Cup of that year.
© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved